Prophecy - Proof That God Is Real
"Show the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that you[idols] are gods; yes, do good or do evil, that we may be dismayed and see it together." - Isaiah 41:23 , emphasis added
Why do Bible-believing saints love prophecy? The precise timing and exact fulfillment of prophecy proves that God is the living Faithful and True God. Consider these wonderful proofs from the book of Isaiah alone: (Emphasis added in the verses below.)
- Only God accurately knows the future. In Isaiah 41:23 (see above) God is challenging man-made idols to perform as He has done.
- Prophecy proves that God is real. In the following verses, God the Father is prophetically speaking to His Son, Jesus Christ, the Messiah: "I, the Lord, have called You in righteousness, and will hold Your hand; I will keep You and give You as a covenant to the people, as a light to the Gentiles, to open blind eyes, to bring out prisoners from the prison.... I am the Lord, ... and My glory I will not give to another, nor My praise to carved images. Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them" (Isaiah 42:6-9).
- Prophecy proves that God is reliable. We see this in His fulfilled prophecies as well as His other mighty works: "Remember the former things of old, for I am God, and there is none like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure'" (Isaiah 49:9-10).
- Prophecy reveals the God we can trust. Everything that our all-powerful, all-knowing, and ever-present God predicted for past history came to pass exactly as He said it would: "Even from the beginning I have declared it to you; before it came to pass I proclaimed it to you, lest you should say, "My idol has done them, and my carved image and my molded image have commanded them'" (Isaiah 48:5; see also Isaiah 48:12-13).
- Trusting God determines our eternal destiny: Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer...: "I am the Lord your God ... who leads you by the way you should go. Oh, that you had heeded My commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.... There is no peace," says the Lord, "for the wicked" Isaiah 48:17-18, Isaiah 48:22).
If you are a believer, are you letting your Redeemer lead you in the way you should go? Are you heeding His commandments? Do you have peace like a river and Christ's abundant righteousness in your life? If you do not yet know Christ as Lord and Savior, I pray that you will make a choice to live in hope. Transfer your trust to Christ alone for your eternal salvation!
To continue reading this message, please click here.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.