Christ in John
John’s whole Gospel is a building to a climactic point in chapter 20: BELIEVE!
John built his whole Gospel as bridge with seven successive signs that transport you to the ultimate sign of chapter 20 that brings the reader to the point of believing – that sign is the resurrection of Christ.
John notes the ministry of Christ in light of its impact on the hearts of those who saw these signs. What were the signs Christ performed to bring those who saw His ministry to belief?
1. First Sign: Start in John 2:1-11. WATER TO WINE; HE IS LORD OF CREATION
2. Second Sign: Go to John 4:46-54 HEALING NOBLEMAN’S SON FROM AFAR; HE IS ALL POWERFUL (LORD OF TIME & SPACE) Note v. 54 supernaturally empowered
3. Third Sign: Now 5:1-15 THE WITHERED MAN AT
4. Fourth Sign: 6:1-14 FEEDS 5000; Note v. 14 The Prophet HE IS BREAD FROM HEAVEN
5. Fifth Sign: 6:15-25. HE IS LORD OF NATURE
6. Sixth Sign: Ch. 9:1-4 HEALS MAN BORN BLIND; HE IS LORD OF SIGHT v. 16 Note v. 32
7. Seventh Sign: Finally the last sign of His ministry, 11:1-44 RAISES LAZARUS; HE IS LORD OF LIFE
Thus in rapid succession, John builds the case of this man, Jesus:
LORD OF CREATION,
The ONE WHO COMMANDS DISEASE,
MULTIPLIES FOOD AND DISPELS DEATH...
But the ultimate sign is Chapter 20! It’s Sunday, early, in the mist come the faithful to say farewell to dead. They, as we, are faced with seven indisputable PROOFS -- EVIDENCE.
What were those 7 evidences of Christ’s resurrection? They are all in verses 1-15.
We will pause over each of them briefly --
1. THE STONE IS GONE, v. 1 Mark relates in chapter 16 who will roll the stone away? It was very large...Matthew 18 – an angel rolled it away and sat on it to show the world He is risen! God confirmed it was done. Christ was gone!
2. THE TOMB IS EMPTY , v. 2 Notice they were SHOCKED. Note that they didn’t expect it. Also - in all history no one claimed He was there. People said He was – stolen, - moved, - resuscitated, but not in the tomb!
3. The third indisputable proof was: Jesus is absent, v. 3 His body was gone and they didn’t have it and the Jews didn’t either!
4. the GRAVE CLOTHES are undisturbed, v. 5 They are lying in orderly arrangement, undisturbed. He had left them. No robber, no hoax. Note v.
5. the face cloth is BY ITSELF, v. 7 He took it off and folded it.
6. the TESTIMONY OF ANGELS, v. 12. They confirmed. But those aren’t the ultimate signs:
7. That’s nothing compared to the LAST PROOF -- We see Christ personally and face-to-face meeting His own! John only records 3 of the 10 meetings Christ had, each so purposeful! Resurrection Appearances of Christ - At the empty tomb outside Jerusalem, early Sunday morning (Mt. 28:1-10; Mk. 16:1-8; Lk. 24:1-12; John 20:1-9).
A. EARLY SUNDAY MORNING: To Mary Magdalene (Mk. 16:9-11; Jn. 20:11-18).
B. SUNDAY MID-DAY: To the two travelers on the road to Emmaus (Lk. 24: 13-32)
C. DURING THE DAY ON SUNDAY: To Peter in
D. SUNDAY EVENING: to the 10 disciples in the Upper Room (Mk. 16:14; Lk. 24:36-43; Jn. 20 19-25)
E. ONE WEEK LATER: to the 11 disciples in the Upper Room (Jn. 20:26-31; I Cor. 15:5).
F. ONE DAY AT DAYBREAK: to the seven disciples fishing on the
G. SOME TIME LATER: to the eleven disciples on a mountain in
H. SOME TIME LATER: to more than 500 believers (I Cor. 15:6)
I. SOME TIME LATER: to James (I Cor. 15:7)
J. Forty Days after the Resurrection: At His Ascension from the
What took the fleeing, fearful band like
a habitual doubter like Thomas,
a rather weak fisherman like Peter,
a gentle dreamer like John,
a practical tax gatherer like Matthew,
a few seafaring men like Andrew and Nathaniel,
the inevitable women, and at most two or three others.”
And made them such a dynamic force? ONE THING:
THEY SAW HIM!
V. 18, I HAVE SEEN THE LORD
V. 25, WE HAVE SEEN THE LORD
V. 28, MY LORD AND MY GOD!!
The greatest proof of all was in the FACE-TO-FACE CONFRONTATION WITH THE UNEXPECTED.
It changed the course of history --
Soon Christ’s own brother, James, believed. Then monumentally the greatest foe, Saul, and on to us....
Do you see the tomb? IT’S EMPTY
Do you see the linen clothes? THEY WERE ORDERLY
Do you see the face cloth? IT WAS FOLDED
Do you see the stone? IT WAS THROWN ASIDE
Do you see the crucified one? HE IS ABSENT!
But not one skeptic, hard heart! TODAY, DO YOU SEE HIM??
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.