The Life Changing Book
Take a moment to open your Bibles to the Psalm extolling the majesty of God's word, Psalm 19:7 –“The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.” (KJV)
Many years ago a missionary statesman stood holding a well worn Bible and said:
Though the cover is worn and pages torn... and places bore traces of tears--
More precious than gold is this book worn... and old, that can shatter and scatter my fears--
When I prayerfully look in this precious old book many pleasures and treasures I see--
Many promises of love from my Father above, who is nearest and dearest to me.
This book is my guide, tis a friend by my side-- it will brighten and lighten my way.
And each promise I find, soothes and gladdens my mind as I teach it and preach it each day.
To this book I will cling, of its worth I will sing though great losses and crosses be mine.
For I cannot despair, though surrounded with care, while possessing this blessing divine.
What is the blessing divine? It is the final reason why I preach that the Bible is literally true is because of its life transforming power. This 7th reason is a crescendo. Looking at them together we can see them as a unit. The Proof of Scripture and then as a second series The Power of the Scriptures.
What Are the Seven Proofs That Verify the Scriptures?
- JESUS BELIEVED THE SCRIPTURES: He often said "Search the Scriptures" "have you not read."
- Because of the unshakeable conviction of the APOSTLES & PROPHETS: Because all the writers of Scripture said so thousands of times. They were totally convinced that they were sharing words that were not originating with them. They said 3800 times "thus saith the Lord".
- SUPERNATURAL ENDURING and SURVIVAL: Because of its endurance through the ages, despite being the target of empires, armies and infidels ‘the Bible stands like a rock undaunted through the raging storms of time. Its pages burn with the truth eternal and they glow with a light divine. The Bible stands though the hills may tumble it will firmly stand though the earth may crumble. I will take my stand on its firm foundation for the Bible stands!’
- ABSOLUTE DIVINE UNITY: Because of its incredible unity demonstrated in the fact that from 40 plus men on 3 continents over 1,600 years and 60 generations comes one unmistakable fabric woven from prison to palace, desert to dungeon, hillside to holy places. There is one common denominator, one shared theme and one united message. There is but one system of doctrine, one system of ethics, one plan of salvation and one rule of faith. One King and one Kingdom and one entrance into His presence!
- SCIENTIFIC ACCURACY: Because of its scientific accuracy in every realm, Genesis is foundational to all we know in life, origins, purpose and destiny. In every science it is absolutely accurate: astronomy, geology, hydrology, oceanography, isostasy, and so on!
- PROPHETIC ACCURACY: Because of its fulfilled prophecy, the Bible is proven itself to be true. Isaiah 41:23 and its historical accuracy and because of its archaeological verification.
- TRANSFORMING POWER! The Bible of all books in the world has the power to change your life. Other books change your opinion on matters. Only God's book can cause you to have a new nature, a new heart, a new spirit, true peace and true love. That is all only from the Scriptures.
How Do the Scriptures Change Me?
In one place, in the Bible, the powerful Scriptures are most clearly displayed. In six masterful strokes the eternal author etches his character and sufficiency toward us. We are introduced in this passage (Psalm 19) to the first of six synonyms for the Word of God. In fact there are three sets of truths:
- There are Six TITLES given for the WORD: law, testimonies, statutes, commandments, fear, judgments.
- There are Six ATTRIBUTES given for the WORD: perfect law, sure testimonies, right statutes, pure commandments, clean fear, true judgments.
- There are Six EFFECTS given for the WORD: perfect law restores, sure testimonies makes wise, right statutes rejoice, pure commandments enlightens, clean fear endures, true judgments vindicates.
All of these reveal the Word in a whole new, powerful and refreshing way.
- They give us God's purpose and plan for His Word.
- They are His review on this new product He has manufactured.
- They give us the operator's manual for this new high powered instrument.
- THE DIVINE TEACHER: God's truth that totally transforms
- THE DIVINE WITNESS: God's testimony absolutely trustworthy
- THE DIVINE DIRECTIONS: God's statutes giving directions to only secure place in the universe
- THE DIVINE DECREES: God's commands giving a clear portrait of God's non-optional absolutes
- THE DIVINE CONDITION: fearing God, lovingly acknowledging by my actions God sees me
- THE DIVINE DECISIONS: God's judgments, His final word on everything! Non-negotiable living.
Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. (KJV) Here God tells us that His Word is to be our TEACHER, the Word is identified as a DIVINE TEACHING. God says, "In my Book I give rules for living!"
What God is saying is that if you were a castaway on a desolate island somewhere and only had a Bible, you could see the utter transformation of a society and the people of that society by the proclamation and reception of the WORD. No other books, ministries, schools, clinics, counselors, support groups, or media needed! Consider the work of Jonah in pagan Ninevah!
So we are focusing on the Power of Scripture. We need to see three things in this study:
- What does God claim His Word can do?
- What changes take place when we let Him work in our life?
- How does God define the role His Word is to have in our life? And that will be the marvelous six fold portrait of the Scriptures in Psalm 19.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.