God's Word: The Divine Teacher
Our text is Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. (KJV)
IN THE DRAWING ROOM
We walked next into the drawing room. This room was rather intimate and comfortable. I liked it. It had a fireplace, overstuffed chairs, a bookcase, sofa, and a quiet atmosphere. He also seemed pleased with it. He said, "This is indeed a delightful room. Let us come here often. It is secluded and quiet and we can have fellowship together." Well, naturally, as a young Christian I was thrilled. I could not think of anything I would rather do than have a few minutes apart with Christ in intimate comradeship.
He promised, "I will be here every morning early. Meet with Me here and we will start the day together." So, morning after morning, I would come downstairs to the drawing room and He would take a book of the Bible from the bookcase. He would open it and then we would read together. He would tell me of its riches and unfold to me its truths. He would make my heart warm as He revealed His love and His grace toward me. They were wonderful hours together. In fact, we called the drawing room the "withdrawing room." It was a period when we had our quiet time together.
But little by little, under the pressure of many responsibilities, this time began to be shortened. Why, I don't know, but I thought I was just too busy to spend time with Christ. This was not intentional, you understand; it just happened that way. Finally, not only was the time shortened, but I began to miss a day now and then. It was examination time at the university. Then it was some other urgent emergency. I would miss it two days in a row and often more.
I remember one morning when I was in a hurry, rushing down the steps, eager to be on my way. As I passed the drawing room, the door was ajar. Looking in I saw a fire in the fireplace and the Lord sitting there. Suddenly in dismay, I thought to myself, "He was my guest. I had invited Him into my heart! He had come as Lord of my home. And yet here I am neglecting Him." I turned and went in. With downcast glance I said, "Blessed Master, forgive me. Have you been here all these mornings?" "Yes," He said, "I told you I would be here every morning to meet with you." Then I was even more ashamed. He had been faithful in spite of my faithlessness. I asked His forgiveness and He readily forgave me as He does when we are truly penitent.
He said, "The trouble with you is this: You have been thinking of the quiet time, of the Bible study and prayer time, as a factor in your own spiritual progress, but you have forgotten that this hour means something to Me also. Remember, I love you. I have redeemed You at a great cost. I desire your fellowship, Now," He said, "do not neglect this hour if only for My sake. Whatever else may be your desire, remember I want your fellowship!" (R.B. Munger)
You know, the truth that Christ wants my fellowship, that He loves me, wants me to be with Him, wants to be with me, and waits for me, has done more to transform my quiet time with God than any other single fact. Don't let Christ wait alone in the drawing room of your heart, but every day find some time when, with the Word of God and in prayer, You may fellowship with Him.
Six Masterpieces of Word Painting—Each With a Three Part Description
- THE DIVINE TEACHER: God's truth that totally transforms
- THE DIVINE WITNESS: God's testimony absolutely trustworthy
- THE DIVINE DIRECTIONS: God's statutes giving directions to only secure place in the universe
- THE DIVINE DECREES: God's commands giving a clear portrait of God's non-optional absolutes
- THE DIVINE CONDITION: fearing God, lovingly acknowledging by my actions God sees me
- THE DIVINE DECISIONS: God's judgments, His final word on everything! Non-negotiable living.
Look at Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. (KJV)
"The law of the LORD is". The Word of God is the Divine Teacher. God is the instructor. The Word of God is His divine instructions. The book is the revelation of our Creator's will! We have the LORD'S rules for living life.
"The law of the LORD is perfect ". The word perfect literally means: entire day, healthy vine, spotless, altogether directed toward the good of man; complete and entirely in accord with truth and fact. Thus it means lacking nothing, covering all aspects.
"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul " . Nephesh or soul speaks of the whole person. The Word of God can turn the whole person to God.
So what do we have? An amazing promise!
- Divine instructions from God.
- All sided, able to touch every part of our life.
- Able to turn a whole person to God.
- That is no less than a totally transforming power.
So how is it with you? The Word of God is designed to be our divine instructor.
Is God's Word -
1. REGENERATING James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. (KJV)
2. QUICKENING YOU Psalm 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me. (KJV)
3. ILLUMINATING YOUR PATH Psalm 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple. (KJV)
4. SANCTIFYING John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. (KJV)
5. PRODUCING FAITH IN YOU John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. (KJV)
6. PRODUCING HOPE IN YOU Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. (KJV)
7. PRODUCING OBEDIENCE IN YOU Deuteronomy 17:19-20 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them: 20 That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel. (KJV)
8. CLEANING YOUR HEART Ephesians 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, (KJV)
9. PROMOTING GROWTH IN GRACE 1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: (KJV)
10. ADMONISHING YOU Psalm 19:11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward. (KJV); 1 Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. (KJV)
11. COMFORTING YOU Psalm 119:82 Mine eyes fail for thy word, saying, When wilt thou comfort me? (KJV)
12. REJOICING YOUR HEART Psalm 119:111 Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart. (KJV)
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.