Open the Gift of Redemption
We started life on earth as dead in our trespasses and sin; redemption is when Jesus reached down and bought us out of the slave market of sin; justification is Jesus lifting me to be seated with Him already in Heaven, we are completely freed from the penalty and record of our sin; sanctification is God forever binding our souls into His grasp and pulling us closer and closer to Him until at the end of our earthly life, He safely lands us into His Presence for ever.
Because of our sin—we are all slaves in bondage to sin and death; so we need Christ's payment of His death to buy us and take us out of the slave market of sin.
In Redemption we go from being a slave chained to our sins to complete freedom by God and a new focus.
We need to experience what the Scriptures often declare—God has liberated us from our slavery to sin, broken sins chains that long had enslaved us and freed us to focus our lives on what really matters to Him.
- Romans 3:24 "being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus". Because I'm redeemed—Jesus destroyed the records of my sins and took my punishment.
- 1 Corinthians 1:30 "But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption." This verse summarizes the three tenses of our salvation. In the past we have been saved from the penalty of sin (righteousness); and in the present we are being saved from the power of sin (sanctification); and in the future we shall be saved from the presence of sin (redemption). Because I'm redeemed—Jesus is all I need!
- Ephesians 1:7 "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace." Since we have not been saved by our good works, we cannot be lost by our bad works. Because I'm redeemed—my sins are forgiven forever.
- Philippians 1:6 "…being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ." Because I'm redeemed—God will finish what He started in me.
- Colossians 2:13-14 "And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross." Because I'm redeemed—my sin debt is forever paid in full.
- Titus 2:14 "who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works." Because I'm redeemed—I am set free from every bondage to be zealous for God!
As you begin each day one of our greatest privileges is to open and enjoy the gift of salvation God has given to us.
By faith we please God when we believe what He's said about us. We need to not live by what others say or have said about us all your life.
To continue reading this message please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/open-the-gift-of-redemption/