What Bible Did Jesus Use?
Not too many months ago the Congress of the US "pulled the plug on NASA's elaborate search for radio signals from alien life". SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence project) has been an American scientific community priority for many years. Because of the evolutionary belief system so prominent in our culture there is also a desire to find even higher evolved life forms. The newspapers at that time reported: "Some speculate that alien intelligence might beam vast streams of coded information, a virtual encyclopedia galactica, with insights into THE ORIGIN OF THE UNIVERSE AND IMMORTALITY."
SUCH AN ABSOLUTE DISREGARD FOR THE INDISPUTABLE FACT THAT SUCH A STREAM OF INFINITE KNOWLEDGE HAS ARRIVED IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE! The Intelligence of the Universe HAS beamed us about our origin and offered immortality freely to all.
Thus we have here this morning not only crystal clear details on the opening day of the cosmos but also:
- The secret of how to live forever
- The secret of how to have a joy-filled marriage (Proverbs 5)
- The secret of how to experience real love (I Corinthians 13)
- The secret of how to be prosperous and successful (Josh 1)
- The secret of how to never fear the future (John 14)
- The secret of how to resist Satan (I Peter 5)
- The Immense God who is vastly beyond all that exists, and has always been prior to the universe beginning, has revealed Himself in the Scriptures.
- The Awesome Creator who has attested to His might by the countless stars, galaxies and mysteries of the cosmos out there, has opened His mind for us to explore.
- The Endless of Days who sees us who are as frail as dust and fleeting as shadows has placed before us the Eternal Word to have, to hold, to love and to live.
Why Have So Few Heard and Seen This Truth?
Listen to the apostle Paul:
2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. (KJV)
Ephesians 4:18 Having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart. (KJV)
What does that virtual encyclopedia galactica have to say?
Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. (KJV)
Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, (even) his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: (KJV)
Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether (they be) thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: (KJV)
Colossians 2:3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. (KJV)
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture (is) given by inspiration of God, and (is) profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (KJV)
2 Peter 1:20-21 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake (as they were) moved by the Holy Ghost. (KJV)
1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received (it) not (as) the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe. (KJV)
I believe the Bible is true. It is all it claims to be. There are seven reasons why you can believe this too. The first reason is also the ultimate one. Jesus believed, taught, and practiced personal belief in the book that you now hold in your hands!
JESUS CHRIST: Jesus believed the Scriptures were FLAWLESS from Genesis to Malachi (Matthew 23:35 Jesus refers to the Jewish Scriptures which started with Genesis 'Abel' and ended with II Chronicles 'Zechariah'. In this sweeping statement He encompassed all the Old Testament Scriptures and said He believed it, as we would say from Genesis to Revelation). The words of our Lord Jesus were filled with the Scriptures. He used them -
- To pray His Mighty Intercession of John 17 He uses the Scriptures (Psalm 41:9).
- To prepare for Gethsemane He sang from the Scriptures at the Last Supper with His disciples. (Matthew 26:30 and Mark 14:26 = 5214 humneo singing of paschal hymns. These were Psalms 113 - 118 and 136, which the Jews called the "great Hallel")
- To endure the horrors of Golgotha He had the words of the Scriptures flowing from His lips on the Cross. (Matthew 27:46 and Luke 23:46 quote Psalms 22:1 and 31:5.)
- To comfort the confused and sorrowful disciples in Luke 24:44 He reminds them that the Scriptures often speak of Him.
Turn with me to Matthew 5:18. We can learn a lot about what Bible Jesus used from this passage. "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished."
A. EVERY WORD OF GOD IS ABSOLUTE! "Until heaven and earth pass away" represents the end of time, as we know it, the end of earthly history. As God's Word, the law would outlast the universe, which someday will cease to exist. "The present heavens and earth by His word are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men" (2 Pet. 3:7; cf. v. 10). Even the psalmist knew that "Of old Thou didst found the earth; and the heavens are the work of Thy hands. Even they will perish, but Thou dost endure; and all of them will wear out like a garment; like clothing Thou wilt change them, and they will be changed. But Thou art the same, and Thy years will not come to an end" (Ps. 102:25-26). Isaiah said, "Lift up your eyes to the sky, then look to the earth beneath; for the sky will vanish like smoke, and the earth will wear out like a garment, and its inhabitants will die in like manner, but My righteousness shall not wane" (Isaiah. 51:6; cf. 34:4; Rev. 6:13-14).
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.