God's Word Restores the Soul
In Psalms 19:7-8 we find six masterpieces of word painting; each with a three part description. How does the power of the Scriptures change me? In one place in the Bible the Powerful Scriptures are most clearly displayed. In six masterful strokes the eternal author etches his character and sufficiency toward us. We are introduced in this passage to the first of six synonyms for the Word of God. In fact there are three sets of truths:
- There are six TITLES given for the WORD: law, testimonies, statutes, commandments, fear, and judgments.
- There are six ATTRIBUTES given for the WORD: perfect law, sure testimonies, right statutes, pure commandments, clean fear, and true judgments.
- There are six EFFECTS given for the WORD: perfect law restores, sure testimonies makes wise, right statutes rejoices, pure commandments enlightens, clean fear endures, true judgments vindicates.
All of these reveal the Word in a whole new, powerful and refreshing way. They give us God's purpose and plan for His Word. They are His review on this new product He has manufactured. They give us the operator's manual for this new high-powered instrument.
The CHARACTER of the Word of God
· HIS PERFECT LAW RESTORES (v. 7a): The Word of God is the Divine Teacher. THE DIVINE TEACHER: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: God's truth that totally transforms.
· HIS SURE TESTIMONY MAKES WISE(v. 7b): The Word of God is the Divine Witness. THE DIVINE WITNESS: 9 the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. God's testimony absolutely trustworthy.
· HIS RIGHT STATUTES REJOICES(v. 8a): The Word of God is the Divine Directions (perfect joy) THE DIVINE DIRECTIONS: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart. God's statutes giving directions to only secure place in the universe.
· HIS PURE COMMANDMENTS ENLIGHTENS(v. 8b): The Word of God is the Divine Decrees (seeing God) THE DIVINE DECREES: The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. God's commands giving a clear portrait of God's non-optional absolutes.
· HIS CLEAN FEAR ENDURES(v. 9a): The Word of God is the Divine Conditions (eternal life) THE DIVINE CONDITION: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever. This is fearing God, lovingly acknowledging by my actions God sees me.
· HIS TRUE JUDGMENTS VINDICATES(v. 9b): The Word of God is the Divine Decisions (REV.19). THE DIVINE DECISIONS: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. God's judgments, His final word on everything! Non-negotiable living.To continue reading about the source that gives ultimate light, click here
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.