Women and Wives God Will Bless
God has inspired two pictures in Proverbs. One is the Proverbs 31 woman; the other is the Proverbs 14 woman. In contrast to the elegantly resourceful, humbly beautiful, woman of wisdom in Proverbs 31 is the Proverbs 14 woman. She is the antithesis of excellence and virtue. She destroys and troubles, and lacks wisdom.
A godly woman and a godly young lady learn their manners from the Word of God. They look like Proverbs 31. Sounds like a good idea. This morning join me as we look over the shoulders of the great Biblical women of the faith. Throughout the centuries they have poured over the Scriptures and looked for God's truth. A great place to start is in Proverbs 14:1-9 with special emphasis on verse one. In these verses we find the Proverbs 14 woman.
The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her hands. (NKJV)
What a contrast. The wise woman is a builder of a godly home. She is a model of godly conduct. The foolish woman is a destroyer. That is what the words “tear down” mean. She destroys her home, her family and eventually her own life. Word by word, person by person, her evil stifles, chokes and eventually destroys people and relationships. What is her outcome? Look back at Proverbs 11:29.
He who troubles his own house will inherit the wind, and the fool [will be] servant to the wise of heart. (NKJV).
There is a classic American Tale, Gone with the Wind that so vividly portrays this idea. The movie is based on Margaret Mitchell’s novel about a slice of Southern Living in the strife torn Civil War Era. The key themes of the movie are very similar to those we find as we meditate on the warnings of God's Word.
· It was a life nearly oblivious to the world around it.
· It was a vividly selfish, indulgent life. The central character is well known to us - the enticing southern belle, Scarlet O’Hara. A cunning and crafty woman who knew what she wanted and always tried to get it. Her self-centeredness is in stark contrast to the servant hearted Melanie. So Solomon, under the inspiration of the Spirit of God, contrasts the selfish and indulgent Foolish woman to the sweet and selfless Wise woman.
The outlook for a joy filled lifelong marriage is about as bleak without the Lord as those tragic warn torn scenes of devastation from the Civil War! But that is not God’s Will. He doesn’t want strife torn lives and homes. He doesn’t want empty lives and hearts. He wants marriage to be life long and joy filled. So to prepare us, God has left a colorful guide to marriage; it is a timeless list of godly character qualities that we who know and love the Lord should seek. God's Word says much about men and women. The Lord goes so far as to even identify what type of person we should avoid, stay away from, and especially never consider as a viable marriage partner. The list is timeless, and can be your guide to a joyous Biblical marriage.
How do we cultivate godliness in our daughter? By knowing, sharing, praying, and most of all – LIVING the portrait God has painted of a GODLY WOMAN.
Bad Girls and Women Look and Act Like This
- Beware of the Immoral woman (2.16; 5.3; 5.20; 7.5)
- Beware of the Evil woman (6.24)
- Beware of the Adulterous woman (6.32; 30.20)
- Beware of the Harlotrous woman (7.10)
- Beware of the Loud and Foolish woman (9.13)
- Beware of the Lovely but indiscreet woman (11.22)
- Beware of the Foolish woman (14.1)
- Beware of the Contentious woman (21.9; 25.24; 27.15)
- Beware of the Angry woman (21.19)
Good Girls and Women Look and Act Like This
A GODLY WOMAN ALWAYS SEEKS TO BE MODEST IN HER DRESS.
Proverbs 7:10 Then out came a woman to meet him, dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent. (NIV).
· Her clothing points to her not to her Father in Heaven and His holiness. Remember the words of Paul in the New Testament Gallery of beautiful women? God emphasizes a beauty of the unseen character, the flesh flaunts the body, God beautifies the spirit!
· 1 Timothy 2:9 I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, (NIV)
A GODLY WOMAN ALWAYS SEEKS TO BE HOLY IN HER CONDUCT.
Proverbs 7:13-14 She took hold of him and kissed him and with a brazen face she said: 14 "I have fellowship offerings at home; today I fulfilled my vows. (NIV).
· A godly woman fears the Lord. She seeks His well done over the approval of anyone else on earth. Her fear of God makes her aware of the future consequence of her choices. A godly woman avoids any present situation that would be destructive for her future usefulness to God.
· 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. (NIV)
A GODLY WOMAN ALWAYS SEEKS TO BE TRUTHFUL IN SPEECH AND MOTIVES.
Proverbs 7:21-23 With her enticing speech she caused him to yield, With her flattering lips she seduced him. 22 Immediately he went after her, as an ox goes to the slaughter, Or as a fool to the correction of the stocks, 23 Till an arrow struck his liver. As a bird hastens to the snare, He did not know it [would cost] his life. (NKJV)
· This deceitful woman is an ugly woman because she is self-driven and wants her way. A beautiful woman wears heavenly beauty as God's Word describes it.
· 1 Peter 3:4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. (NIV)
A GODLY WOMAN ALWAYS SEEKS TO BE GENTLE AND QUIET.
Proverbs 9:13 The woman Folly is loud; she is undisciplined and without knowledge. (NIV)
To Continue this message please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/women-and-wives-god-will-bless/