The Gospel Explained by Peter
Today the largest church building, owned by the largest representation of Christianity is called -- Saint Peters.
Today there stands a man in that largest church building called a Pope. He is a man who claims to be a direct successor to a long line of Vicars of Christ - of which Peter was supposed to have been the 1st. Did a man who is one of my greatest earthly heroes actually start what is today called Roman Catholicism?
To find out I have brought with me a special, expert witness. The only human that can ever testify to whether Peter founded what we call the Roman Catholic Church - is Peter HIMSELF. And so by way of an absolutely perfect transcript of what Peter himself actually said, and taught - this Bible, God's Word - we are going to interview Saint Peter this morning. I'll let you decide whether Peter ever founded what we call Romanism.
So what do you think Peter? His replies are all taken from his own speeches and writings as we have them in the Holy Scriptures. (We have used only the approved Confraternity edition of the Scriptures in giving St. Peter's replies).
As a fisherman to normal people like us, can you explain how a person can get to Heaven, Peter?
· "Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Acts 2:21).
· "To him all the prophets bear witness, that through his name all who believe in him may receive forgiveness of sins" (Acts 10:43).
· "Set your hope completely upon that grace which is brought to you in the revelation of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 1:13).
Peter please explain to me who mediates my needs to God? Do I need someone to get me saved? Are there many ways to God?
· "Neither is there salvation in any other. For there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).
How do we address our prayers Peter? Do we come through you, the Lord Jesus' mother, or some of the other great Apostles or Prophets?
· "Pray to God" (Acts 8:22)
· "Invoke as Father him who without respect of persons judges according to each one's word" (1 Peter 1:17).
Peter, can I buy God's grace in any way - through the Church, through others, or by something I can do?
· "Thy money go to destruction with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money. Thou hast no part or lot in this matter; for thy heart is not right before God. Repent therefore of this wickedness...and pray to God, that perhaps this thought of thy heart may be forgiven thee" (Acts 8:20-22).
· "You know that you were redeemed from the vain manner of life handed down from your fathers, not with perishable things, with silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot" (1 Peter 1:18-19).
For more resources from Dr. John Barnett visit our website at www.DiscoverTheBook.org