What God Rewards
Psalm 19:11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: [and] in keeping of them [there is] great reward. (KJV)
Have you ever heard anyone say, "Well you can't take it with you!" That is true. God no less says the same thing. But so many have tried. Most notably we think of the god-kings of
Perhaps the contrast between the last hours of life in two vastly different men will help us see how great are God's rewards!
The first man was the incredibly wealthy, last king of Assyria (in what is today
The Greek historian Diodorus Siculus (c. 20 B.C.) says that the river not only broke down the walls of the city, it also inundated part of it. At this point, the king, Sardanapalus, remembering an oracle to the effect that
The second man was neither wealthy nor a king. His name was CT Studd. After serving 15 years in
In the night the Faithful Shepherd who had led him to
CT Studd gave every thing to Christ. And in return he lost nothing. Sardanapalus kept everything to the end and died as it was destroyed. Jim Elliot summed it up the best, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." This morning let's find what we can give up that will last forever!
WHAT ARE THE BELIEVER'S REWARDS?
1. Christ Sees All His Servants Clearly:
- He opens the inner thoughts of our hearts. 1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have refused him. For [the] [Lord does] not [see] as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (NKJV)
- He will correct the direction of all who ask. Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; 24 And see if [there is any] wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting. (NKJV)
- He brings all the evidence to light. 1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one's praise will come from God. (NKJV)
- Nothing is hidden from Him. Hebrews 4:13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things [are] naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we [must give] account. (NKJV)
2. Christ Examines each Servant Individually:
- Only those servants who built to "specs" are Rewarded 1 Corinthians 3:12-15 Now if anyone builds on this foundation [with] gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone's work which he has built on [it] endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. (NKJV)
- Jesus gives out correct rewards 2 Timothy 4:8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. (NKJV)
3. Christ Promises Rewards for Faithful Servants:
- God calls us great if we teach what we live. Matthew 5:19 "Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches [them,] he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (NKJV)
- God gives eternal joy to faithful servants. Matthew 25:21 "His lord said to him, 'Well [done,] good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.' (NKJV)
- We can be confidently awaiting Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:6-9 even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you, 7 so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8 who will also confirm you to the end, [that you may be] blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God [is] faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. (NKJV)
- God rewards us based on the big picture. 1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one's praise will come from God. (NKJV)
- The reward appointments come one at a time. 2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things [done] in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. (NKJV); Colossians 3:24-25 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ. 25 But he who does wrong will be repaid for what he has done, and there is no partiality. (NKJV)).
- We can be pleasing God with our lives. Philippians 1:10 that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, (NKJV)
- Keeping the Word gets the Crown 2 Timothy 2:5 And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. (NKJV)
4. Christ Promises Loss of Rewards for Fleshly Servants:
- Building for self brings heavenly loss 1 Corinthians 3:15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. (NKJV)
- Undisciplined living always leads to spiritual disqualification 1 Corinthians 9:27 But I discipline my body and bring [it] into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. (NKJV)
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.