The Unpardonable Sin
Jesus the Savior of the World, who came to seek and save the lost, says side by side the greatest and worst words ever spoken to any humans. What were those words?
- 1st Jesus says that there is no sin that God can't and won't forgive.
- Then Jesus warns that there is a sin for which there is no forgiveness.
We need to understand the context of this enigmatic passage, then the scope of Christ's declaration, and finally the meaning of unpardonable sins.
To rest any troubled minds who may fear that they have somehow committed this sin which can never be forgiven - on the basis of Christ's words in Mark 3:28. Rest your finger there on those words, allow your eyes to follow along - hear the voice of Jesus speaking. Let Him assure you today!
· The unpardonable sin is not taking God the Father, God the Son or even God the Holy Spirit's Name is vain. "Assuredly I say to you - all sins will be forgiven…"
· The unpardonable sin is not any form of sexual sin - no matter how vile - not adultery, not perversion. "Assuredly I say to you - all sins will be forgiven…"
· The unpardonable sin is not any form of murder, even the most heinous forms. "Assuredly I say to you - all sins will be forgiven…"
Jesus always offered only one way out of sin. Sorrowful admission of guilt, and humble requests for mercy, confession and forgiveness, belief and repentance.
As long as any person seeks Jesus and hates his sin, even if unable to stop at times - Jesus offers forgiveness. But to the one who rejects God, turns from the Light, hardens their heart - and never turns back, can never repent, and thus will never be forgiven. The work of the Holy Spirit is rejected, the escape route is closed, and the way of salvation is forever shut.
· JESUS SAYS DIVISION IS DEADLY. Mark 3:24-26 "If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand." NKJV
· JESUS SAYS DISARMAMENT LEADS TO DEFEAT Mark 3:27 "No one can enter his realm to carry off (diarpasai, "plunder") his possessions unless he first binds the strong man (shows he is more powerful). Then he can rob (diarpasei, "plunder") the realm, releasing the enslaved victims."
· JESUS DECLARES ALL SINS ARE FORGIVEABLE. Mark 3:28 "Truly I tell you, people will be forgiven for their sins and whatever blasphemies they utter." NRSV
There is one sin that cannot be forgiven—blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. This sin does not appear to be a single act. Even the Scribes Jesus said "were in danger of…" it appears that the persistent state of rejection was what Jesus was referring to. This is the unforgivable sin—the deliberate refusal to acknowledge and accept God's power in Christ. This condition betrays an irreversible hardness of heart. Chosen, repeated rejection of the work of the Holy Spirit is blasphemy because it is rejecting God himself. Sometimes believers worry that they have accidentally committed this unforgivable sin. But only those who have turned their back on God and rejected all faith have any need to worry. When Jesus said that this sin was unforgivable after saying all sin was forgivable He implied that this sin was eternal because they would never ask for His gracious forgiveness. They were eternally holding onto their sins - and would pay the eternal price for sin.
To continue reading this message please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/the-unpardonable-sin-/