Healthy Communications in an Unhealthy World
Titus 2:6-8 contains the final request God makes of every young man in Christ's church. Please follow along as we read the entire passage to the younger men:
Titus 2:6-8 (NKJV)" Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, 7 in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, 8 sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you."
There is our goal in God's Word today: understanding God's desire for our sound, healthy speech, wholesome talking, and good communication. God says that we must attend to our spiritual health needs as young people.
Is your speech mixed with grace, is your tongue guarded by the Spirit? Do your words come from a pure heart and a sound mind with no room for foolish, course, or off-color words? Is your tongue a conduit for the wisdom that is from above, so that most of all, your speech pleases Christ Jesus?
If James could reduce the purpose of his letter down to only two words, they would be "Spiritual maturity".
One look at the problems James covers in this short letter says it all. As a pastor he was dealing with childhood illnesses. He is writing and exhorting them about the five marks of childish and immature believers. Each chapter of the Book of James reflects one mark of spiritual immaturity, have you noticed them?
- Spiritual babes are Impatient with the troubles of life (1:1-4)
- Spiritual babes are quick to talk but slow to live the truth (2:14ff)
- Spiritual babes have an out of control tongue (3:1ff)
- Spiritual babes are often bickering and jealous (4:1ff)
- Spiritual babes are busy collecting material "toys" (5:1ff)
Then James gives clear indicators of how the walk of faith is going. You are headed toward Christian maturity when these areas are in line:
1. A Mature Walk of Faith endures troubles 1:2-11
2. A Mature Walk of Faith deals with temptation 1:12-16
3. A Mature Walk of Faith obeys the Word 1:17-27
4. A Mature Walk of Faith allows no prejudice 2:1-13.
5. A Mature Walk of Faith displays itself in godly works 2:14-26.
6. A Mature Walk of Faith Bridles the tongue 3:1-12
Remember that it has been estimated that from the first "Good morning" to the last "Good night," the average person's words could make a book of 50-60 pages-the equivalent of more than one hundred books a year of 200 pages each.
To continue reading this message please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/healthy-communications-in-an-unhealthy-world/