The Blood of Jesus
Revelation 1:5 "And from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood." NKJV
Sin is a Deadly Defilement
Listen to the testimony of one who experienced the amazing cleansing power of Christ's blood:
Who am I? My godly mother died when I was a young child. Reared by a sea-captain father, taken to sea at age eleven, I soon forgot the Scriptures she had taught me.
Several years later, I was pressed into the British navy and became a midshipman. By then I had earned the reputation of being able to curse for two hours straight without repeating a word. Restless and wild, I tried to desert, was caught, stripped, whipped severely, and degraded to the ranks. I eventually ran away to
And I did.
Debauched and distant from God, I fell into the hands of a Portuguese slave trader. For months the chief woman of the trader’s harem treated me like an animal, beating me and forcing me to grovel in the dirt for my food.
Reduced to a mangy cur of a man, I finally escaped and made my way to the shores of
I would have drowned were it not for a sailor who pulled me back on board by spearing my thigh with a boat hood. The wound was so large that it left a scar big enough to put my fist in. Some weeks later, when the ship neared the coast of
It was then that I desperately called out to God. He answered my helpless cry, and I emerged from the hold of that ship to later become the chaplain of
Amazing grace! how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.
These were the lyrics born out of my wayward, free-versed life. And to my ears, there is no sweeter sound than grace in all the world. Who am I? John Newton.
Jesus is a Wonderful Savior
Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto Him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in His own blood, KJV
There is power in the blood of Christ isn’t there? YES! There is power to change, cleanse and keep us. There is power to redeem, restore and renew us.
IT’S ALL THE POWER OF GOD’S AMAZING GRACE... POURED OUT IN THE SACRIFICE OF OUR LORD JESUS... AS HE POURED OUT HIS BLOOD ON THE CROSS-!
Why do we need that power? Because we are all infected with sin.
Christ’s Blood -
1. Powerfully Paid the Penalty of our Sin [past FORGIVENESS]
2. Absolutely Defeated the Power of our Sin [present VICTORY]
3. Totally Secures us from the Presence of our Sin [future SECURITY]
Jesus has Taken Care of Our Past Life
1. Power to purchase us. Acts 20:28 "Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the
2. Power to remove God’s Wrath from us. Romans 3:25 “Whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,” (NKJV) Propitiation is all that the OT expiation [covering and putting away of sin] was and, very importantly, “THE PACIFYING OF THE WRATH OF GOD THEREBY.” It is the quenching of God’s wrath against us by obliterating our sins from His Holy sight.
3. Power to justify us. Romans 5:9 “Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.” (NKJV) In Justification a sinner stands before God as the accused and is declared free Romans 8:33
- It is when God imputes Christ’s righteousness to the sinners account Romans 4:11b
- This is through an outside or external event that changes their standing Romans 5:1-2
- Justification does not make us personally righteous, sanctification does that Romans 3:28
4. Power to scrub our minds clean Hebrews 9:14 “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?” NKJV
To Hear or Read this entire sermon including ‘Jesus is Taking Care of Our Present Life’ please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.discoverthebook.org/sermons_read.asp?id=162