Days 1 & 2 of the Seven Greatest Days of Christ's Ministry
A. This Introduction of the King of the Universe to only the Humble, shows the only way to His Presence. Who missed out on His arrival? Remember them:
1. First there was AUGUSTUS: “Mr. BIG” Luke 2:1 And it came to pass in those days [that] a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. (NKJV)
a) Augustus was too big to notice the significance of this event
b) GOD COMES IN SMALL THINGS. LISTEN TO PAUL: I Corinthians 1:26-27 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called.] ; (NKJV)
2. Second, there was QUIRINIUS: “Mr. Somewhere Else” Luke 2:2 (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of
a) Quirinius was too far away to notice the significance of this event.
b) GOD COMES IN THE THINGS THAT ARE CLOSE. LISTEN TO PAUL: Romans 10:8 But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: (NIV)
3. Third, there was the INNKEEPER: “Mr. Busy” Luke 2:7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. (NIV)
a) The Innkeeper was too busy to notice the significance of this event.
b) GOD COMES TO THE SIMPLE. LISTEN AGAIN: I Corinthians 1:27-28 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things -- and the things that are not -- to nullify the things that are, (NIV)
4. FOURTH, there was Herod: “Mr. Earthly Minded” Matthew 2:1 After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem (NIV)
a) Herod was to earthly minded to notice the significance of this event.
b) GOD CAME TO THE SPIRITUAL . LISTEN AGAIN TO PAUL: I Corinthians 2:14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. (NIV)
5. Fifth, there were the RELIGIOUS LEADERS: “Mr. Self Righteous” Matthew 2:4-5 When he had called together all the people's chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Christ was to be born. 5 "In
a) The Religious Leaders were too SELF-RIGHTEOUS/GOOD [God's word isn't for me here and now, its something for out there or something] to notice the significance of this event.
b) GOD COMES TO THE LOST SEEKERS. They knew it, but didn't care enough to go five miles south of town and experience it. They pointed others to seek out the Savior but never went to worship themselves. LISTEN TO GOD: Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul. (NIV)
6. WELL HOW ABOUT IT: ARE YOU:
a) TOO BIG? GOD WANTS YOU SMALL
b) TOO FAR? GOD WANTS YOU CLOSE.
c) TOO BUSY? GOD WANTS YOU TO STOP.
d) TOO EARTHLY MINDED? GOD WANTS YOU TOO LOOK UP.
e) TOO SELF-RIGHTEOUS? GOD WANTS LOST SEEKERS.
B. The childhood of Christ was a sinless childhood, boyhood, youth and manhood. Those days were invested as an example to all humans of humility, hard work, obscurity, submissiveness, contentedness, prayerfulness and Scripture mastery. He endured the scorn of singleness as all were normally wed by 18
His Baptism - In Matthew 3 we find the second key day of the Life of Christ. It was the day the small door leading to the carpenter’s shop closed for the last time. Gone would be the hours of wonder filled talks the local folks had enjoyed with the kindest man they ever had met. No more would the wide eyes of children be seen looking wistfully off as stories from the Scriptures of David and Elijah and Moses were shared seemingly with an eye witness aura about them. As the meek and lowly Carpenter headed toward the
A. Why did Christ seek baptism?
1. Jesus was identifying with us the fallen human race Hebrews 2:17 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like [His] brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things [pertaining] to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. (NKJV)
2. John was introducing the Promised Savior. John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! (NKJV)
3. God was approving of the Prepared Christ. Psalm 2:7 "I will declare the decree: The LORD has said to Me, 'You [are] My Son, Today I have begotten You. (NKJV)
4. The Spirit of God was empowering the work of redemption. Hebrews 9:14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (NKJV)
B. The Spirit is the only power for Ministry
C. The Authentication of the King
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.