Thanksgiving: A Season and a Life-Long Choice
Thanksgiving is the atmosphere that surrounds God’s Throne; and Thanksgiving is God’s will for all of our days lived on Earth. On this Thanksgiving week, are you thankful?
As we open to 1 Thessalonians 5:18 most of us are thankful for the good things we enjoy—like a safe and comfortable homes, a job, a bank account, a healthy and mobile body, an active and full life, and so on.
But the test of true thankfulness is 1st Thessalonians 5.18 as God’s Will for our lives is expressed:
1 Thessalonians 5:18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Now let’s go over that list of our usual sources for thanksgiving in life in America this month—
· A safe and comfortable home—but what if we had to live in the bad part of town, in an apartment or house that was dirty, unsafe, and cold? Would you still be thankful? That is where most Christians in the world today do live!
· A secure and providing job—but what if you were unemployed, underemployed, or disabled and never able to work again? Would you still be thankful? That is where many Christians in the world are today! Remember 2/3rds of the world lives on less than a dollar per day.
· An insured savings account and an assured retirement plan—but what if you were penniless, uninsured, and with no social, financial, or medical safety net? Would we still be thankful? That is where most Christians in the world are today!
· A healthy, strong, and mobile body—but what if you were weak, sick, infirm, and without a prognosis of return to full health? Would we still be thankful? That is where many Christians in the world are today!
· An active and full life—but what if you were far from leisure and recreation, distant to action and excitement, shut in, immobile, without a car, a family, a circle of close friends, and money to get any of the above? Would we still be thankful? That is where a lot of Christians in the world are today!
· A wonderful family and friends—but what if you were the only believer in your family, or even in your city somewhere in the Middle East? Would we still be thankful? That is where a lot of Christians in the world are today!
So are we really thankful? Or are we only thankful for what we consider to be the good times? The way to measure genuine gratitude is to see if this verse fits us. “In everything” do we give thanks?
In the unclear world of our tomorrows, each of us here will experience various difficulties, persecutions, or disasters. We can prepare anything, by exercising a faith that practices faith in God’s promise of Romans 8:28 As it says in the Living Bible:
"And we know that all that happens to us is working for our good if we love God, and if we are fitting into His plans."
If you haven’t already planned for the spiritual side of Thanksgiving, click here for some ideas.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.