"He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name."
-Revelation 3:12, emphasis added
One of the most glaring Christian sins today is self-indulgence. We live in a world where people are suffering horribly, and yet we indulge ourselves. We spend too much of our time being beautiful and pampered. Paul who was probably the greatest born-again Christian who ever walked the face of the earth, said, "I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified" (1 Corinthians 9:27). Paul did not want to "step out of his lane" in the race and get disqualified. He was intent on finishing the course well. God always counts how we finish--not just how we start!
Make a choice to live in hope:We need to listen to Jesus today. For He has said, "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches" (Revelation 3:13). Do you have hearing ears? Are you saved and listening to Jesus?
- A cold wave cooled the loving passion of the Ephesians. Watch out! Don't catch cold.
- Tribulation and poverty tempted and tried to discourage the Smyrnians. Watch out! Don't be discouraged.
- False doctrine and impurity tripped up some Pergamites. Watch out for imitations and immorality.
- False teachers and wickedness killed the Thyatirans. Watch out for truth and purity-not lies and deceit.
- Lifelessness robbed the Sardians of the Name. Watch out! Be sure you are clothed with Christ. Born-again believers will listen to Jesus, overcome, and be crowned.
- An open door stood before the Philadelphians, and they stepped through by faith. Watch out for open doors of ministry. Serve Christ for eternal rather than temporal gain.
I wonder: Do you know that the plane is crashing? This world is headed to a very abrupt conclusion. Think about the people you love: your family, friends, coworkers, classmates, and neighbors. If they don't know Jesus Christ, do you mind that they are going to a place of blackness of darkness where worms do not die and there will be endless fire? Does it matter to you? Jesus wants you to unashamedly go forth and tell them about Him!
Oh, how I pray that you earnestly desire the blessing of Christ's approval, and therefore covet hearing His "Well done!"
To continue reading this message, please click here.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.