Talking to God ALL the Time
One of the first lessons we give to our infant children is how to talk. We look at them as they first learn to follow us with their eyes and say “momma…daddy” and so on. We teach them how to talk, and they learn by imitation and repetition.
One of the first lessons we need to learn from our Heavenly Father is His ‘how to talk to Me’ lesson. These lessons are what the Bible teaches on prayer. If you have never done so, you would be enriched beyond measure to go from cover to cover in this book and personally find out all that your Father wants you to know about prayer.
Many years ago someone challenged me, just like I am challenging you. They said to me, “Before you buy or read another book or article on prayer, take as long as it takes to listen to EVERYTHING the One you are PRAYING TO has to say about how, when, where, and why YOU SHOULD PRAY TO HIM!” That makes sense, doesn’t it? So I took a Bible and a blue highlighter and read every word of the Bible.
After reading each of the 31,102 verses of God's Word armed with my blue highlighter – I found there are many different references to this vital topic.
· Prayer in the Word of God is mentioned about 350 times.
· The word “pray” and “prayer” however are actually translations of ten different Hebrew words and seven different Greek words. So we might say that God offers us an amazing multitude of personalized options in our approach to Him. Each of these 17 words portrays attitudes and approaches to communing with our Great Almighty King!
Our key passage for this series is 1 Timothy 4:7. Paul says we are to discipline our selves towards godliness. What encourages a godly life? That is our current study which I call The Disciplines of a Godly Life.
Today we are going to examine The Discipline of Supplication.All of us need to exercise ourselves in ceaseless prayer. As Jesus told His disciples in Mark 9, there is territory we will never enter for Him without learning the secret of Supplication which is fasting (denying ourselves) and praying (seeking God’s intervention and help in specific events and people). So today we need to discipline ourselves for the purpose of prayer!
- Exercise the Discipline of Supplication toPray all the time.
- Exercise the Discipline of Supplication toPray like the Saints of God's Word.
- Exercise the Discipline of Supplication toPray like Jesus taught us.
- Exercise the Discipline of Supplication toPray with your family.
To continue reading this message on Talking to God ALL the Time, please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/talking-to-god-all-the-time-/
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.