Grace and a Global Flood
THE LINE Of CHRIST ENDANGERED
We see the multiplication of people in the "population explosion."
- Genesis 6:1 Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, (NKJV);
We see the multiplication of violence.
· Genesis 6:11-13 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 So God looked upon the earth, and indeed it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth. 13 And God said to Noah, "The end of all flesh has come before Me, for the earth is filled with violence through them; and behold, I will destroy them with the earth. (NKJV)
Humanity was advanced from the start! Note the expansion of arts and industry.
· Genesis 4:16-22 Then Cain went out from the presence of the LORD and dwelt in the
We see the multiplication of a lack of conscience, even for murder. Genesis 4:23-24 Then Lamech said to his wives: "Adah and Zillah, hear my voice; Wives of Lamech, listen to my speech! For I have killed a man for wounding me, Even a young man for hurting me. 24 If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, then Lamech demon intrusion-sevenfold." (NKJV)
We can see true believers are in a minority.
- Genesis 6:10 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. (NKJV)
THE GOOD NEWS
· THE UPWARD LOOK: But keep in mind that "the days of Noah" were also days of witness. In fact, God had told Enoch that judgment was coming, and he preached to the people Jude 14-15 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones 15 to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him." (NIV) In fact, Enoch named his son Methuselah, which means "when he dies, it shall be sent"; that is, the judgment would come after Methuselah is dead. He was born in the year 687 and lived 969 years. He died in the year 1656 - the very year the flood came! In other words, God gave the wicked world 969 years of grace, and for the last 120 years of that period, Noah was preaching and preparing the ark (Genesis 6:3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." (NIV); 1 Peter 3:20 who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water. (NIV)
· THE INWARD NEED: Today, God warns men that judgment is coming (II Pt. 3 - fire, not water); but few listen, and even fewer believe.
THE FLOOD CONSIDERED PRACTICALLY
- GOD ALWAYS PUNISHES SIN: God must punish sin. There must be death to the old before He can establish the new.
- GOD ALWAYS WARNS SINNERS: God gives man warnings but eventually His patience ends and judgment comes.
- GOD ALWAYS SAVES BY GRACE: God has always saved people the same way: by grace Genesis 6:8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD. (NIV) through faith Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith. (NIV)
- GOD ALWAYS EXPECTS OBEDIENCE: True faith, always brings active obedience (Genesis 6:22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him. (NIV) Genesis 7:5 And Noah did all that the LORD commanded him. (NIV)
- GOD ALWAYS EXPECTS SEPARATION. 1 John 2:15-17 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that [is] in the world -- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life -- is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. (NKJV) It was difficult for Noah and his family to remain separated in such a wicked world, but God helped them, and God rewarded them.
THE LESSONS OF THE FLOOD
The Depth of the Sin of Mankind
Reminds us we are sinners
The Incredible Deafness to the Message
Warns us to Listen because we lack sensitivity.
The Great Response of Noah
Challenges our Availability
A Second Chance for Mankind
Offers Hope for All to be pure and new!
What Can We Learn?
- God is HOLY, He will judge sin. Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. (NIV)
- God is LOVING, He will seek out individuals. Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." (NIV)
- God is GRACIOUS, He will transform fallen sinners 1 Peter 5:5 Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." (NIV)
What Should We Learn from This? Note Peter's words in II Peter 3
- KEEP ALERT: This should encourage a Godly life; live Christly v. 10-11
- BUILD FIREPROOF: This should discourage materialism and encourage us to live expectantly v. 12-13
- LOOK UP: This should develop an expectant Life; live purely v. 14
- STUDY THE BOOK: This should help us to guard our heart and encourage us to live maturely v. 17
- OBEY JESUS: This should encourage us to grow spiritually and to live growingly v. 18
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.