Wanted: Godly Men
There has probably been few times in the history of this planet when it has been harder to be a man of god than today ... The outlook is dismal when you examine the forces of the darkness of this world marshaled in array against this endangered species known as the godly man.
Sometime in the year AD 64, Paul the apostle looked out of the tiny grate that let in light to his subterranean dungeon. The mamertinum prison was only a stones throw from the epicenter of the world, the Roman Forum.
Outside could be heard the crowds surging to the circus maximus, the games and the great festivals. The mighty legions returned from victory after victory with dazzling displays of plunder and captives.
But in that solitary dungeon of dampness, deprivation and discomfort, once again the spirit overshadowed the great apostle and began to breathe through him the very Word of God.
What is amazing is that with a shamelessly professed homosexual emperor and a bloodthirsty mob of Romans behind him in self gratifying lust, Paul would write: "in the last days ... Men will..." he was saying, this is only the prelude. The fallen ego is evident but will come to full bloom in days ahead.
Then he lists the qualities of godlessness that will be embodied in the last days:
1. Philautos = self lovers, a life centered in self. The antithesis of the life God calls for which is death to self.
2. Philaguros = lovers of money, and Timothy as pastor of Ephesus was in the second most prosperous, materialistic center of the ancient world. All the trade routes dumped wealth here!
3. Alazon = braggart, boastful. It was the word for the medicine peddling quack doctor who could cure anything. Then it just came to mean a boaster of empty words.
4. Huperephanos = arrogant, to show ones self above, this is not an outward show, this is an inward condition of all consuming pride.
5. Blasphemia = revilers is not the hot words of anger but the cold insult of an arrogant pride.
6. Disobedient to parents = the loss of all submission to positions of authority over young people.
7. Acharistos = ungrateful, thankless, a refusal to even acknowledge the debt of gratitude owed to god and man.
8. Anosios = unholy is a refusal to even recognize decency in life, the unwritten ones like burial of the dead. But beyond cultural things, this is the base and shameless seeking of abnormal pleasures and thrills.
9. Astorgos = unloving is to be without family or human affection. Storge is family love. This is a time when self prevails over even the closest ties of family.
To continue reading the list of qualities of godlessness that will be embodied in the last days and the completion of this sermon please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/wanted-godly-men/