Listen to Your Redeemer
I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, saying, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last," and "What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia."
-Revelation 1:10-11a, emphasis added
God created us to hear the voice of Jesus. So it is not strange that, when the Creator met with John on Patmos, John heard His voice. As we listen to those words captured by John, every one of these facets of Christ's beauty calls us to the same response: worship.
Can you imagine how John felt when he first heard the voice like a trumpet? Or what it might have been like for him to see Jesus in the beauty of His deity, and the wonder of who He is? To then be chosen to write down what he saw, and what was yet to come, must have been awe-inspiring to this lonely exile!
In Revelation 1-3, Jesus' voice is calling the church throughout the ages to worship Him! In Revelation 1, there are nine reasons why we must listen to and worship our divine Redeemer:
1. Jesus is the Conqueror of Adam's fallen race- One like the Son of Man, robed to His feet. (1:13)
2. Jesus is the Perfect Priest- with hair as white as snow. (1:14a)
3. Jesus is the Ancient of Days- with eyes like a flame of fire. (1:14b)
4. Jesus is the Seer of All Secrets- with feet like fine brass. (1:15a)
5. Jesus is the Ultimate Judge- crushing all foes with a voice as thunderous as the twelve million cubic feet of water crashing at Niagara's base! (1:15b)
6. Jesus is the Voice of God- commanding all to pay attention. (1:15b) Even the deaf and the dead can hear it, and so should we!
7. Jesus is the Possessor of All Secrets of the Universe- holding the stars in His hand, which He spoke into existence by His Word. (1:16a)
8. Jesus is the Creator of All Things- with the face of incomprehensible countenance, blazing with the power of the sun. (1:16b)
9. Jesus is the All-Powerful Lord of Glory- who says to us, "Will you worship Me?" (1:17-18)
As you reflect upon the nine signs of Christ's divinity listed above, listen for Jesus' voice-and worship Him! One way to worship the Lord is to dwell on the truth that Jesus came and rescued you. Another is to meditate upon how thankful you are that He is your perfect priest. Or you can praise Him for being the eternal One you can trust! Another example of fragrant worship is to express adoration that His all-seeing eyes always know where you are and what you need! On and on the list can go. Now take a moment and offer thanksgiving for all the other things He brings to mind!
To continue reading this message, please click here.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.