Salvation - Turned to God
Paul entered one of the largest cities in the world in the middle of the 1st Century. There at that cross road of land and sea trading routes he nurtured a group of believers that literally turned the world upside down. What a refreshing and challenging truth we can learn as we see what made them so different, what made them so powerful, and what made them so “Turned to God”!
What kind of world did they live in? Galatians 4:4-5 says, “But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.” (KJV). In God's estimation it was the fullness of times. This meant:
1. GLOBAL LANGUAGE Koine
2. GLOBAL TRANSPORTATION Roman Roads
3. GLOBAL LAW AND PEACE Pax Romana
4. GLOBAL RELIGION Pantheon
5. GLOBAL CULTURE Games
A New Way of Life –
CITIZEN OF HEAVEN OR EARTH DWELLERS?
They had A NEW ORIENTATION: 1 Thessalonians 1:9, “For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God”; (KJV) The lost person has an entirely different orientation than we do.
A. Earth dwellers:
1. Earth dwellers live for their APPETITES: Philippians 3:19a “Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.” (NIV).
2. Earth dwellers lived for their APPEARANCE: Philippians 3:19a “and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.” (NIV).
3. Earth dwellers live for their ADDRESS: Philippians 3:19c “Their mind is on earthly things”. (NIV). Did you know that in the book Revelation the word the Holy Spirit uses to describe lost people most often is “earth dwellers”, people who only live for the here and now.
To continue reading this message including the characteristics of “Citizen’s of Heaven” please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/salvation-turned-to-god-/