Why God gives you the fruit of the Spirit
“Maybe Christmas,” the Grinch thought, “doesn't come from a store.”– Dr. Seuss
If you study all the gifts that God gives you through the Holy Spirit, you might quickly get to the point where you raise up your hands and say, “Enough already! No more! Too much!”
But there's more on the way. In fact, not only does God have more gifts to offer, but in some cases, the gifts come in bunches. One of the things God gives you is the fruit of the Spirit. It's described for us in Galatians, chapter 5. But it's not really one gift; it's a whole bunch of gifts.
- It's love, the ability to love people that we don't even like.
- It'sjoy, a defiant gladness that thumbs its nose at our circumstances.
- There is peace, the ability to deal with very difficult circumstances in the power of the Spirit.
- There's patience, you're just about ready to throw up your hands and quit parenting and the Holy Spirit gives you the ability to go one more day.
- It’s kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, all gifts that you can receive from Him each day you choose to let Him live through you.
- And self-control, you can actually say “NO” to things now that you couldn't say “NO” to before.
And then there is power, guidance, assurance, unity – all these things are gifts on the Holy Spirit’s list for you. Seriously, if I were to build a pyramid of all the blessings that Scripture talks about – all the gifts the Holy Spirit is giving us and wants to pour into our lives – the roof would have to come off!
Dear God, I ask that You would not only give me a spirit of giving this holiday season, but that You would give me a spirit of reception. Give me the willingness to receive the amazing gifts that You provide. Give me the humility to worship You for the abundant spiritual blessings that You pour into my life. Amen.
Listen to Pete, Jill & Stuart Briscoe on the Telling the Truth broadcast at OnePlace.com
Live a Transformed Life with ‘The Best of 2012’!
This year, there were six Telling the Truth messages that really helped a lot of listeners around the world. That’s why we’ve now put these messages into a special collection for you called The Best of 2012. We want to help you dig into God’s Word and live a transformed life in Him!
The messages in this series cover a lot of ground, but the common thread running through all of them is that you can have joy and abundant life in Christ no matter what you’re facing today.
This resource is our gift to thank you for your gift of any amount, so please request your copy today!