Your role in the Great Story
“God created man because He loves good stories.” —Elie Wiesel
Good stories. We love them. We watch them. We read about them. And we are living them. Almost all good stories follow a pattern.
- First, everything starts outideal and happy.
- Second, a crisis emerges or explodes—something terrible that destroys the ideal with serious consequences.
- Then, the Hero arrives and sacrificially intervenes to fix the problem and clean up the mess.
- Finally, the story ends with some form of restoration. Though the world might never be the same, and consequences remain, good stories generally end well—some sort of “happily ever after.”
By understanding the pattern of a good story, we can easily see that we are living in the midst of something epic—the Great Story—the story of Eden and Satan and Jesus and us and Heaven. As you read through the Bible, you will see that outline laid out for you—and we are still right in the middle of it—one big story being lived out in a thousand little stories day by day.
"… For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose." – Philippians 2:13
- What roles are you playing in this Great Story?
- If you had a clearer, big-picture perspective of the Great Story, would that affect the roles you play?
Holy Spirit, I want to live out my role in the Great Story! I believe that You live in me. I believe You are at work in me according to God's good purposes. Quiet my mind so that I can sense Your leading as You direct me and empower me to live out the roles that You have prepared for me today. Amen.
Listen to Pete, Jill & Stuart Briscoe on the Telling the Truth broadcast at OnePlace.com
Finding God CD Album by Jill Briscoe
Our gift for your donation…
Are you trying to “find” God? If so, you’ve got it wrong. God doesn’t need to be found, He is already right here, seeking you! Are you so busy, you are missing His gentle call?
Receive Jill’s 3-message series, Finding God, as our gift for your donation this month!
Donate online or call 800.889.5388 (0800.652.4120 UK). Donate Now