by Dr. Charles Stanley
Saturday October 16, 2004
How to Claim a Promise From God
God wouldn’t have made all the promises in the Bible if He didn’t want to give His children great blessings. Yet, we cannot be presumptuous and simply assume such benefits automatically belong to us. So how can we claim God’s promises with the expectation He will take pleasure in answering our petition?
There are several questions we must ask in order to test the needs we bring before our heavenly Father:
1. Does this promise meet my personal need or desire?
2. Am I asking God to keep this promise with the spirit of being submissive to His will?
3. Will fulfilling this promise honor God?
4. Can God perform this request without harming another person or interfering with His will in someone else’s life?
5. Does the Holy Spirit bear witness to my spirit that God is pleased with my petition?
6. Does my request to claim this promise contradict the Word of God in some fashion?
7. If God fulfills this promise, will it further my spiritual growth?
Once we’ve satisfactorily answered those questions, there are just three requirements for inheriting the promises of God. First of all, we must have faith. Our Father wants us to trust Him, and He rewards those who do. (Genesis 15:6; Hebrews 11:6) Second, we must be obedient to whatever we know is God’s will for us-we will never attain His best if we knowingly disobey. And third, we must have patience and be willing to wait for the Lord’s perfect timing.
It’s well worth it, considering the blessings He longs to give you.
Webcast Available Now!
Watch Dr. Stanley's engaging presentation, When the Enemy Strikes, online now! Recorded live on September 7, this program includes worship led by Don Moen, praise, and teaching on the keys to victory in spiritual warfare, plus an exclusive Q&A session with Dr. Stanley!
Join the In Touch Ministries Impact Prayer Team and receive your free Personal Battle Planner devotional and prayer journal.