by Dr. Charles Stanley
Thursday August 10, 2006
The Danger of Bitterness
1 Samuel 18: 1-30
King Saul had it all: God’s anointing on him as ruler; the prophet Samuel to guide him; the power and wealth of the
• Anger. When Goliath was defeated, the crowds praised Saul as a killer of thousands but David as a slayer of ten thousands. Instead of rejoicing that God had raised up someone to slay the giant, Saul grew angry at David for receiving more praise than he did.
• Wrong Thinking. Saul’s flaring temper affected his mind, and he became suspicious of David’s motives. He started thinking that, since the Lord was with David the young man would want to take over the kingdom right away.
• Fear. Saul’s fear led to plotting against David and throwing spears at him.
• Rejection. The king sent David away from his presence.
• Dread. Saul’s fear grew stronger and more malignant with David’s military success and the people’s growing love for him.
• Deceitful action. Twice the king tried to manipulate David by offering one of his daughters in marriage. Both times he plotted to get David killed by the Philistines, and each attempt failed. Saul’s response was to become David’s enemy for the rest of his days. From then on, bitterness reigned.
Although the details of our lives differ from Saul’s, the steps to bitterness and ruin are the same. What unresolved anger do you allow to fester? Whom do you avoid because of ill will? Won’t you confess your sin, turn to God, and be set free?
Summer Renewal Kit
Have you found yourself so busy with life that you are missing the little moments when God would like to meet with you? Let the Summer Renewal Kit help you slow down...You will be surprised how these little moments with God can renew, recharge, and refresh your spirit! Order your Summer Renewal Kit here.
Life is filled with so many opportunities and choices that sometimes it’s hard to know what you should do. In Walking Wisely, Dr. Stanley teaches how to make godly decisions in your personal finances, business opportunities, relationships, parenting, and intimacy with God. Order your copy here.
Free online resource - Learn more!
Would you rather follow a set of rules or Jesus? Visit www.charlesstanleyinstitute.com and enjoy free liberating lessons that you can apply to your life today, including Life in the Spirit, Knowing God, and Your Identity in Christ.