Steps of Faith
The Bible portrays the Christian life as a walk. It speaks of walking in the Spirit, in God's ways, in love, and in truth. Our lives, then, shouldn't be stagnant; they ought to move and develop to be increasingly like Jesus'. Scripture calls this "sanctification."
But what if you feel that you're going backward instead of forward? Do you know how to turn around? Only by faith in Christ can any of us move in the right direction. Here's how to correct your course:
• First, have assurance that God keeps every promise. The Bible contains an amazing number of guarantees for believers, including wisdom for the asking, God's constant presence, and peace when we focus on Him.
• Second, anticipate the Father's response. In other words, prepare for what He will do because of your confidence in His promises.
• Third, be aware daily of His involvement in your life. By spending time in the Word, prayer, and meditation, you will become sensitive to what He is doing.
• Fourth, pray boldly because you are God's child (Heb. 4:16). Approaching the Father in such a manner isn't a prideful confidence, but an overflow of your assurance in Him.
• Finally, obey the leading of the Holy Spirit. This is the true test of your belief—in fact, the Bible says that without action, faith is dead (James 2:17).
Can you sense that your life is progressing and you are maturing into Christ's likeness? Or do circumstances and character traits seem to hold you back? God promises to continue making His children beautiful throughout their lives. You can resist Him or cooperate with His gracious work in you.
For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.
If you like Dr. Charles Stanley's radio program, TV broadcast and books, then you'll love his free, award-winning monthly magazine. It's full of informative resources that will touch your heart and invigorate your faith. Every month, In Touch magazine brings readers daily devotionals from Dr. Stanley, in-depth Bible studies, inspiring articles and insightful teaching to help strengthen your family and your relationship with God. Click below to start your free subscription to In Touch magazine.
Used with permission from In Touch Ministries, Inc. © 2009 All Rights Reserved.