by Dr. Charles Stanley
Tuesday May 23, 2006
How to Increase Your Faith
2 Thessalonians 1:3-4
What are some practical steps you can take to increase your level of faith today?
1. Read the Bible. Romans explains, “Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.” That is, you must feed your faith a steady diet of God’s Word.
2. Exercise your faith. An aspiring bodybuilder doesn’t begin by lifting 500 pounds the first day. Rather, he exercises daily, gradually increasing his strength. Regularly exercising faith can bring about similar growth spiritually.
3. Embrace trials. First Peter 1:3-9 reveals a shocking truth that adversity, addressed in God’s power, creates greater faith. Just as a fire purifies precious metals, hardship strips away all but the pure core of faith.
4. Examine the testimonies of others. An individual’s testimony is his own account of God’s activity in his life. No one can ever deny, refute, or downplay another’s testimony. When you hear of God’s mighty deeds in someone else’s life, your own faith in Him grows.
5. Pray. You get to know someone by talking to him. That’s just what prayer is: your personal communication with God. And don’t just talk; be sure to spend time listening. God wants to speak to you.
6. Practice obedience. You will never grow in your faith if you consistently disobey what God tells you to do. Perfect faith is a byproduct of obedience. Put yourself in a position to see God’s best for your life, and your faith will soar.
Faith does not increase by accident. Growth takes time, dedication, and intentionality. Ask the Lord to help you exercise your faith today.
FREE OFFER: In Touch Ministries invites you to celebrate your mother this month and receive our free offer of “Lessons My Mother Taught Me.” The message is a moving snapshot of Dr. Stanley’s childhood and the invaluable time he spent learning from his godly mother. You’ll want to honor your mother everyday for the priceless love she’s given to you. Register today and receive a free CD of Dr. Stanley’s message “Lessons My Mother Taught Me.”
Take the next step in your spiritual walk today! Enroll for free in the Charles Stanley Institute for Christian Living and learn biblical truth under Dr. Charles Stanley.