In Touch Daily Devotional
by Dr. Charles Stanley
November 20, 2007 – Prepared for Battle – 2 Timothy 3:16-17
An unprepared soldier will not hold out against the enemy. Since believers are at war with Satan, we must train wisely so that our heart stays clean and our testimony remains strong. Here, then, is a Christian soldier’s guide to preparing for battle:
• Soldiers must acknowledge the war. The Bible is clear: the Devil is determined to destroy the saints. For this reason, we must view our life as a battleground (1 Peter 5:8).
• Soldiers must know the enemy. Satan’s ways and tricks are recorded in Scripture. We know that his words are deceitful—but also very tempting.
• Soldiers must undergo training. Every day believers have the opportunity to demonstrate their trust in God in at least some small way. This is preparation for facing future decisions or adversity with wisdom and courage.
• Soldiers must know how to use their weapons. The Word of God is very helpful to combat Satan, encourage the heart, and guide decision-making. Prayer keeps us in touch with our Commander-In-Chief.
• Soldiers must resist propaganda. Satan will use any worldly means possible to entice us—the media and entertainment industries, educational systems, and false religions are all tools of his trade. Believers must be wise in deciding what to allow into their minds.
A prepared soldier is a believer whose mind and heart are full of the Lord and His Word. The Spirit-filled warrior will be victorious against Satan’s attack.
This Bible combines the wisdom of Scripture with the principles that guide Dr. Stanley's life and empower his ministry. Order your copy.