Work Six Days, and Then Rest
By Rick Warren
“Work and get everything done during six days each week, but the seventh day is a day of rest to honor the Lord your God” (Exodus 20:9-10 NCV).
Rest and recreation are so important that God put it in the “Big 10”—right up there with not committing adultery, not murdering, and not stealing. You’d say, “Well, I’d never murder anybody. I’d never commit adultery.” But are you taking a day off every week?
God didn’t make the Sabbath for his benefit. He made it for ours: “The Sabbath was made to benefit man, and not man to benefit the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27 TLB). When I ignore God’s laws, who gets hurt? Not God.
It doesn’t matter what day of the week you take your Sabbath. Those of you who are entrepreneurs or self-employed or who work remotely, if you don’t schedule a Sabbath, you’re never going to take a break. You schedule everything else, so you need to schedule your Sabbath.
What should you do on a Sabbath?
- Rest your body.In the French Revolution, they abolished Sunday as a day of rest but later restored it because the health of the nation had collapsed. You might think, “But I feel guilty when I relax.” Well, Jesus didn’t feel guilty. He made the Sabbath a priority.
- Recharge your emotions.You can recharge your emotions through quietness, solitude, or recreation that rejuvenates you.
- Refocus your spirit.Worship—both group worship and time alone with God—puts your life into perspective.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Transformed Complete Audio Series
Get Transformed this year!
Do you want to experience a real transformation from the inside out? Then you have to spend time listening to God’s word. That’s why we compiled the Transformed Complete Audio collection.
These eight messages from Pastor Rick Warren are sure to help you draw closer to God so you can experience the abundant life he designed you to live.
You’ll hear messages including . . .
• Setting Personal Goals by Faith
• How to Get Closer to God
• From Stressed to Blessed
• Change Your Life by Changing Your Mind
• How to Deal With How You Feel
• Facing the Fears That Ruin Relationships
• Transforming How I See and Use Money
• Facing Giants in Life and Work
The complete Transformed audio series is our gift to thank you for your financial support of Daily Hope, so please request it when you give below.
This collection is perfect for your audio library or to share with a friend or family member.
Thank you for your generosity to help more people learn, love, and live God’s Word!
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.