Seven Greatest Days of Christ's Ministry –
Crucifixion, Resurrection, Ascension
A. The Work of the King at the Cross is the only door to Heaven.
B. The Seven words from the Cross
1. The first three speak to the deepest needs of humanity
a) “Father forgive” His mercy upon sinners.
b) “Today . . .
c) “Woman . . . thy son” His care for sharers.
2. The second four to the deepest woes of His agony
a) “My God” a cry of spiritual aguish. The net result of sin is to be forsaken by God. So Jesus experienced that horror for us!
b) “I thirst” a cry of physical anguish.
c) “It is finished” a cry of triumphant certainty.
d) “Father” a cry of eternal fellowship.
C. The Crowds at the foot of the Cross mirror the people of all time.
1. Observers: some were sorrowing disciples who knew and loved Him so. Others were spectating bystanders who never came to faith in spite of all they witnessed.
2. Objects: one repenting and one resisting were the thieves, one descends to darkness the other ascends to light. Both were sinners, both faced Jesus but only one repents.
3. Officials: what a contrast between the mocking and celebrating religious leaders, and meditating and moved to faith - centurion.
His Resurrection- What a shock it was. The Destroyers hold upon death was destroyed (Hebrews 2:14 - Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil,). And from the grave by the power of the Father no corruption could touch Him, He broke the bars and walked out in Triumph. By His resurrection He confirmed all the promises of God, He assured all who had died in faith and He empowered all who would follow Him. The Resurrection and the Life was forever our Risen Lord!
A. The Triumph of the King because the Empty Tomb is the only key to Hope/Confidence.
B. Conclusion: Why? Jesus Christ our Lord, declared to be the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead.
1. John 20:11-18 He came to save the: The Defiled like Mary He gives purity when they come to Him.
2. John 20:19-23 He came to rescue the depressed like the disciples who were in hiding.
3. John 20:24-31 He came to save the: The Doubters like Thomas and He patiently gives them Faith when they doubt?
4. John 21:1-14 He came to restore the Deserters like James and John He gives them Humility when they ask Him.
5. John 21:15-25 He came to save the Deniers like fearful Peter and gives them forgiveness when they fail Him!
1. Four eyewitness accounts in the Gospels. They all agree!
2. The Tomb is empty. Then and to this day no body ever found!
3. The abandoned Grave clothes.
4. The witnesses who saw Him alive.
5. Transformed lives of disciples.
6. The New day of Worship for Christians.
His Ascension - The last day was the day He went home. How the hosts of heaven had waited. He whose glory fills the heavens now was coming home in triumph.
A. The Exaltation of the King
B. His entrance into Glory
1. The Perfect One. Others came by Mercy, this One came on His own merits! Hebrews - better than Abel
2. The Triumphant One: Psalm 24:8-10 Who [is] this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, The LORD mighty in battle. 9 Lift up your heads, O you gates! Lift up, you everlasting doors! And the King of glory shall come in. 10 Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, He [is] the King of glory. Selah (NKJV)
3. The Exalted One: God gave Him a name. Phil 2 What name? The name promised Mat 1, the name placarded on the Cross, the name scoffed by the lost, the name loved by His own, the name of Jesus!
C. The Savior is the only Sign we look for.
1. He is our Wounded God the Son - Revelation 5:6 And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth. (NKJV).
2. He is our Wrathful God the Son 2 Thessalonians 1:7-8 and to [give] you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. (NKJV)
D. Wounded for me, Wounded for me, There on the Cross He was wounded for me, Gone my transgressions and now I can sing, all because Jesus was wounded for me. (W.G. Ovens)
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.