Satan the Adversary has tried to mess up God's plan over and over. There are at least 7 times He tried to do so.
1. He tempted and led to sin Adam & Eve in Genesis 3. But God promised a seed. A deliverer who would redeem humanity.
3. In our text this morning Genesis 6, he tried to corrupt the entire race, and thus erase the promised seed.
4. When God singled out
5. Satan then tried to get God to destroy
6. He then tried to defile
7. Finally he tried to murder Christ in
You see the Lord has planned to pour out His wrath against sin two times on earth - first at the Flood secondly at the Tribulation. Both are fantastic pictures of His Grace. In the flood times God sent Enoch a preaching prophet who told the world;
Jude 14-15 - “Now Enoch, the 7th from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, "Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 "to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." (NKJV)
Noah presents an interesting picture of Christ in His work of redemption. Noah's name means "rest" (see Genesis 5:29 He named him Noah and said, "He will comfort us in the labor and painful toil of our hands caused by the ground the LORD has cursed." (NIV), and Christ brings us rest Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (NIV), and redeems us from the curse Galatians 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." (NIV).
Noah and Enoch together represent
1. Noah went through the judgment and was kept safe, just as the 144,000 and the Jewish remnant will go through the tribulation to establish the Kingdom on the earth.
2. Enoch was raptured before the judgment came (5-21-24, Heb. 11:5), just as the Church will be raptured before the wrath of God is poured out upon the world.
THE FLOOD CONSIDERED PROPHETICALLY
THE DOWNWARD SLIDE: Christ teaches that the days before the rapture and the tribulation will be like the days of Noah Luke 17:26 "Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. (NIV), Matthew 24:37-39 “As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.” (NIV). We are living in the "days of Noah" today!
· HUMANS CONTAMINATED Genesis 6:5 - Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man [was] great in the earth, and [that] every intent of the thoughts of his heart [was] only evil continually. (NKJV)
· DEMONS RAMPANT Mankind had become largely demon possessed. I believe the "sons of God" who came down and cohabited with the "daughters of men" (Gen. 6:2) were fallen angels, demons (cf. 1 Pet. 3:19-20). Because of this cohabitation, the fallen race fell even further. The evil of man's own nature was compounded, and it became too much for the Lord to bear. Judgment had to come. Donald Barnhouse said, "Hell is as much a part of the love story as God in heaven is." Righteousness and sin cannot coexist. God cannot establish righteousness until sin is destroyed.
v THE DEMON INTRUSION OF GENESIS 6
Ø THE PURPOSE OF THIS DEMON INTRUSION Genesis 6:5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man [was] great in the earth, and [that] every intent of the thoughts of his heart [was] only evil continually. (NKJV)
Ø THE NATURE OF THIS DEMON INTRUSION Jude 6 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; (NKJV)
Ø THE TIMING OF THIS DEMON INTRUSION 1 Peter 3:19-20 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while [the] ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. (NKJV)
Ø THE RESULT OF THIS DEMON INTRUSION 2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast [them] down to hell and delivered [them] into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; (NKJV)
Ø THE PARALLEL TO THIS DEMON INTRUSION IN THE TRIBULATION The character of the last generation that precipitates God's intervention is seen in Revelation 9:20 But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk. (NKJV).
Ø THE WARNING OF DEMON INTRUSION Paul described the drift toward demons as part of the end time last days 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,
MINISTRY IN TIMES OF DEMON INTRUSION
- Enoch preached Jude 14-15 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, "Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 "to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." (NKJV)
- Noah preached 2 Peter 2:5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, [one of] eight [people,] a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly; (NKJV) his job was to warn the people of his time that God would soon judge them because of their wickedness and unbelief. They had had the same opportunity to know God and His will as had Noah. The difference between Noah and everyone around him was not a difference in the amount of light but a difference in response to it.
- God waited As always, the Lord's judgment was tempered by His mercy. He is never happy with judgment, no matter how deserved. God was "grieved in His heart" (Gen. 6:6) about man's wickedness and the fact that he would have to be judged so severely. He allowed 120 years for the people to be warned and to repent, thereby staying the judgment (6:3). Actually a type of warning was given when Noah was born, 500 years before he started the ark. As he was being named, his father, Lamech, said, "This one shall give us rest from our work and from the toil of our hands arising from the ground which the Lord has cursed" (Gen. 5:29). And then, while God had Noah build the ark-a dramatic picture of the coming Flood-He also had Noah witness to the people, warning them. "The patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark" (1 Pet. 3:20). In other words, at the same time He was preparing judgment He was also preparing a way of escape.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.