When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. —Franklin D. Roosevelt
Five years ago, my wife and I realized that we disliked each other. We knew we couldn't get divorced. We weren't about to be unfaithful. But we knew we couldn't stay where we were. So, we looked at each other, and we said, "Do we really wanna live like this for another 30 years?"
Paul learned the lesson of contentment in extenuating circumstances. As he wrote Philippians, he was in jail, had no money, and was near execution; but he still found joy in Christ. Paul's joy didn't come from improved circumstances. It came from living according to the truth rather than buying into the lies of the world, the flesh and Satan. It's the same for you and your marriage. Remember, the secret of marriage is two people walking in the Spirit, loving one another. Let's do something about that, following the pattern Paul laid out in Romans 12:1-2:
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God – this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Out of the eight marriage lies we've uncovered, identify the ones that are most pressing on your marriage right now:
- Marriage is irrelevant
- Marriage is the only way to be happy
- Your spouse will complete you
- You two can handle it on your own
- Divorce is an option
- Divorce is better for your children
- Your marriage is hopeless
- Marriage isn't worth it
Read the truths that replace the lies that you find directly affecting you:
- Marriage is divine, timeless, and significant
- Singleness is a gift to cherish or a season to enjoy
- Christ is the only one who can complete you
- You need outside help to handle your marriage
- Divorce is only an option in certain extreme cases
- Married parents are far better for your kids
- God offers hope and restoration for your marriage
- A godly marriage will bring Him glory and bless the married immensely
Listen to Pete, Jill & Stuart Briscoe on the Telling the Truth broadcast at OnePlace.com
Bring new Life to your marriage!