"For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” - (Mark 10:45 NLT)
Thought for Today Jesus came to earth to serve others, and he calls us to do the same. How are you serving others? And just as important—why? Are any of these thoughts familiar to you?
- If I don't help this person, no one will.
- I am the only one who knows how to please this person.
- This is the last time I am going to help this person
- I am tired of being a doormat.
- I am going to stay around this person because I believe they will change.
- If I continue to do my best to help, I believe things will get better.
- I have to help this person because their poor choices are my fault.
- I am a bad person if I don't do what this person wants of me.
Consider This . . .
Servanthood is meant to be something we do voluntarily. Sometimes, however, we may feel we should do something for others because of pressure we feel from outside sources of intimidation or inner sources of guilt. We may not even realize we are serving another person for reasons other than a sincere and healthy desire.
This week we will be looking at unhealthy motives for serving and examining some steps toward serving others freely with healthy boundaries and no strings attached.
Prayer . . .
Father, I realize I have had some of these thoughts. Help me see any unhealthy motives I have for helping others. Help me establish healthy boundaries. In Jesus' name . . .
PO Box 22127 ~ Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421 ~ 423-899-4770
© Living Free 2007. Living Free is a registered trademark. Living Free Every Day devotionals may be reproduced for personal use. When reproduced to share with others, please acknowledge the source as Living Free, Chattanooga, TN. Must have written permission to use in any format to be sold. Permission may be requested by sending e-mail to info@LivingFree.org.