A Prayer to Help You Serve with Right Motives
From the Living Free Everyday Devotional
"For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” - (Mark 10:45 NLT)
Jesus came to earth to serve others, and he calls us to do the same. How are you serving others? And just as important—why? Are any of these thoughts familiar to you?
- If I don't help this person, no one will.
- I am the only one who knows how to please this person.
- This is the last time I am going to help this person
- I am tired of being a doormat.
What about any of these?
- I am going to stay around this person because I believe they will change.
- If I continue to do my best to help, I believe things will get better.
- I have to help this person because their poor choices are my fault.
- I am a bad person if I don't do what this person wants of me.
Consider This . . .
Servanthood is meant to be something we do voluntarily. Sometimes, however, we may feel we should do something for others because of pressure we feel from outside sources of intimidation or inner sources of guilt. We may not even realize we are serving another person for reasons other than a sincere and healthy desire.
Here is a prayer we can pray in order to examine our motives and begin to serve the way God would have us serve:
Father, I realize I have had some of these thoughts. I’m quick to think I have to carry others’ burdens on my own. I also see my tendency to think I can save friends and family, when I know you are the only one who can. Help me see any unhealthy motives I have for helping others. Help me establish healthy boundaries. Forgive me for helping out of these unrighteous motivations. Help me serve others with a generous, selfless heart that shows them your love. Help me be motivated by your love, not my own ego. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Editor’s Note: The following is an abridged version of Feeling Pressured? From the Living Free Every Day Devotional. To read the full article, follow this link.
Now that you've prayed, are you in need of someone to pray for YOU? Click the button below!
Visit iBelieve.com for more inspiring prayer content.