Delivering on Your D-R-E-A-M
- Kenny Luck Founder, Every Man Ministries
- 2014 23 Sep
No man likes regret.
The problem is that we can easily get caught up in the drive to obtain great things, experiences, power, pleasure, fame, fortune, sex and stature. While there’s nothing wrong with healthy achievement, the pursuit of these things can require massive energy, consume your focus, and kill relationships in the process. In spite of our best intentions we end up holding a big bag of regret to compliment our achievements. Along the way someone or something paid the price for getting what we thought we wanted so bad at the time. Oops.
Don’t despair. The dream hasn’t died it’s just being re-set to eliminate regret and replace it with what you were really after – significance.
All that is needed now is the right focus coupled with the right disciplines to sustain my motivation and move me in the right direction. To this end, consider the following fact and helpful roadmap.
Dream Fact: You are made to dream creative visions because you were hardwired by God for more.
Perhaps the best question to ask is: Does your dream(s) correlate with God’s dream for you? To find out, ask yourself these questions and compare your answers with what God thinks.
Is it to become wealthy?
- “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”—Hebrews 13:5
Is your lens focused correctly?
- “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things… And the God of peace will be with you.”—Philippians 4:8-9
Are you drawing on your own strength?
- “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”—Philippians 4:12-13
There’s your dream and there’s God’s dream for you. First, you have to realize why you were created. You were created because God wants to love you. He wants more children to love, and more children who will love him back. You may have to marinate on this for a while, because understanding this fundamental truth can be the key to realizing God’s dream for you.
Consider resetting your aspirations with this D-R-E-A-M:
- D-ecide to let God decide
- R-eside in the glory of His reality
- E-xchange your vision for God’s
- A-ccept God’s process
- M-ove His boundaries in continual growth
In my book, “Dream,” I expand on my own journey to finding and living God’s dream. Here’s the main point: God’s dream for you is about becoming a great man who seeks glory by joining God’s personal process of becoming like His Son, leaving fantasies of greatness, and choosing to embrace our everyday reality to bring Him glory.
Letting go of your dream, and letting God’s dream for you be your pursuit will fulfill every area of your life. It’s not without challenge, discomfort, conflict, loss and pain, but the journey will be worth it.
*Every Man Ministries, founded by president Kenny Luck, gives men the tools they need to walk with God and navigate the difficulties of life. As the former men’s pastor at Saddleback Church, Kenny Luck created a program for men to start and lead their own men’s ministries, the Sleeping Giant program. Watch Kenny’s teachings at EveryManMinistries.com