Report: Islam is World's Fastest Growing Religion
Amanda CasanovaReligious persecution, missions, Christianity around the world
- 2015 Apr 07
Islam will grow faster than any other major religion in the world, according to demographic projections by the Pew Research Center.
By the year 2050, the number of Muslims (about 2.8 billion_ around the world will nearly equal the number of Christians (about 2.9 billion) in the world.
Charisma News reports the research come from globalreligiousfutures.org as part of the Pew-Templeton Global Religious Futures project, which analyzes religious change. The study looked at some 200 countries of major religious groups: Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Jews and Muslims.
According to projections, Christians will still make up the largest religious group in the world. Atheists, agnostics and other people who do not recognize religion will make up a “declining share” of the world’s total population.
Also, according to the report, if current trends continue until 2050:
- Muslims will make up 10 percent of the overall population in Europe.
- India will have the largest Muslim population of any country in the world.
- In the U.S., Christians will decline from more than ¾ of the population to 2/3 of the population.
- Four of every 10 Christians in the world will live in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Jews are expected to grow 16 percent worldwide.
The full report is available at "The Future of World Religions: Population Growth Projections, 2010-2050.”
Publication date: April 7, 2015