Lord, Teach ME to Pray!
Jesus never taught His disciples how to preach, only how to pray.
How are you doing in the most wonderful and available ministries available to all of us as believers?
Prayer is one to the few things we are asked to unceasingly be involved with. If prayer is something we are to do unceasingly, then we better know how to do it properly!
When God's Word teaches us how to pray, it is very profitable to notice what God doesn’t teach us about prayer:
The Postures of Prayer
First we can quickly see from the Scriptures that the Lord doesn’t teach us about just one posture of prayer – because any posture will do. In the Bible, people prayer in all different positions:
· Abraham’s servant prayed while standing in Genesis 24:12-14 Then he said, “O Lord God of my master Abraham, please give me success this day, and show kindness to my master Abraham. 13 Behold, here I stand by the well of water, and the daughters of the men of the city are coming out to draw water. 14 Now let it be that the young woman to whom I say, ‘Please let down your pitcher that I may drink,’ and she says, ‘Drink, and I will also give your camels a drink’—let her be the one You have appointed for Your servant Isaac. And by this I will know that You have shown kindness to my master.”
· Moses prayed while bowing down in Exodus 34:8 So Moses made haste and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshiped.
· The Israelites prayed in sorrow for their sins as they were sitting in Judges 20:26 Then all the children of
· Elijah prayed for rain on top of
· Jesus was praying on His knees face down in Matthew 26:39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.”
· When the leper approached Jesus with his deep need he did so kneeling in prayer in Mark 1:40 Now a leper came to Him, imploring Him, kneeling down to Him and saying to Him, “If You are willing, You can make me clean.”
· The Publican Jesus commended prayed to the Lord while smiting his breast in Luke 18:13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’
· Jesus prayed for us as He walked from the Last Supper with uplifted eyes in John 17:1 Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,
· Paul encourages men to pray as they lift holy hands in 1 Timothy 2:8 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting;
The Places for Prayer
Secondly God's Word never teaches us about just one the place of prayer – because we are to pray everywhere. In the Bible, people prayed in all different places:
· David testifies that he prayed while he was in bed Psalm 63:6 When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches.
· Solomon notes that God hears those who pray around His dwelling place in 1 Kings 8:27-30 “But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built! 28 Yet regard the prayer of Your servant and his supplication, O Lord my God, and listen to the cry and the prayer which Your servant is praying before You today: 29 that Your eyes may be open toward this temple night and day, toward the place of which You said, ‘My name shall be there,’ that You may hear the prayer which Your servant makes toward this place. 30 And may You hear the supplication of Your servant and of Your people
· Elijah had some powerful prayers while waiting in a cave in 1 Kings 19:9-10 And there he went into a cave, and spent the night in that place; and behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and He said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” 10 So he said, “I have been very zealous for the Lord God of hosts; for the children of
· The Israelites prayed while in battle in 2 Chronicles 13:14-15 And when
· Jonah found he could get a hold of God through prayer while in a fish in Jonah 2:1 Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the fish’s belly.
· Jesus says to be humble about our praying we can go in a closet in Matthew 6:6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
· Of course how well we know that Jesus prayed for us in a garden in Matthew 26:36 Then Jesus came with them to a place called
· Jesus found it good to pray in solitude as Mark notes in Mark 1:35 Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.
· Jesus also prayed often outdoors in the wilderness in Luke 5:16 So He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed.
· Jesus often prayed on a mountain in Luke 6:12 Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
To Read or Hear this entire sermon including The Times for Prayer and The Circumstances for Prayer please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: