Little Girl Receives New Chance at Life after Grandmother Donates Kidney

Little Girl Receives New Chance at Life after Grandmother Donates Kidney

A little girl from Alabama who has a rare kidney disease has been given a new chance at life after her grandmother donated one of her kidneys.

ABC News reports that two-year-old Wryn Graydon was diagnosed with congenital nephrotic syndrome at the age of two months. She had to be put on dialysis while doctors and her family waited for her to be old enough to be a candidate for a kidney transplant.

Meanwhile, Wryn’s family wondered if they would be able to find a kidney donor who was a match for Wryn.

Wryn’s father Michael was out of the question since he had kidney stones. Wryn’s mother Haley also was not allowed to be a donor since she was the primary caregiver and had another older child. Wryn’s grandparents volunteered to be tested, however, and Wryn’s grandmother, Carol Graydon, 62, ended up being a perfect match.

The doctors even told Carol Graydon that she had the kidneys of a 20-year-old, which was perfect for a kidney donation.

“Having a living and a related donor allowed us to schedule the transplant as quickly as possible,” said Dr. Dan Feig, division director of Pediatric Nephrology at University of Alabama in Birmingham, who treated Wryn. “A very, very healthy 62-year-old is terrific so we were thrilled to be able to move forward.”

Michael Graydon found out the good news when Carol surprised him at work to let him know.

“There are so many emotions that hit you,” he shared. “We’re big believers in God so we trust in him. But from the medical side we know what can go wrong and this was my mom and daughter.”

"There was no hesitation at all” on Carols’s part, Mike Graydon added. "There were concerns also but when you weigh being able to give the gift that will change Wryn’s life for many years to come, and also Michael’s and Haley’s."

The two Graydons underwent the procedure last week and are now recovering. It was an emotional time for the Graydon family following the surgery.

“When my mom was able to come over in her wheelchair and see Wryn, it’s almost like they had some type of immediate connection,” Michael Graydon said. “They were already close to begin with but Wryn just perked up that day and was very happy and laughing and being her normal self after seeing my mom.”

"The first time I saw her, and I wasn’t even the donor, I had to back away because it’s just so much emotion," added Mike Graydon. "I had to gather myself before I went back to her."

The Graydon families are now back at home, continuing the recovery process.


Photo courtesy:

Publication date: July 21, 2017