Fighting Between Israel, Palestinian Islamic Jihad Enters Third Day

Fighting Between Israel, Palestinian Islamic Jihad Enters Third Day

Thursday marked the third day of fighting between Israel and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) terror group. Talks of a cease-fire are ongoing.

According to CBN News, Ali Ghali, a senior commander of the PIJ's rocket launching force, was killed in the fighting. The conflict began on May 9, when the Israeli military began a targeted airstrike on Gaza in an operation called "Operation Shield and Arrow" to stop attacks on Israel by the PIJ.

By Wednesday, southern Israel had been struck by over 500 missiles by Palestinian terrorists, leading more than a million Israelis to run to bomb shelters or lie on the streets for protection. The Jerusalem Post reports that the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) had struck over 100 targets in Gaza as of Wednesday.

According to a video by the IDF, Israel's Iron Dome anti-missile defense system had intercepted the incoming rockets fired by Islamic Jihad. The IDF notes that the defense system has a success rate of over 90 percent.

"3rd Day - # IDF's "Operation Shield and Arrow" to #stop the #terror group Palestinian Islamic," Jerusalem Dateline tweeted along with a video of the attacks.

Several areas, including the Israeli coastal city of Ashkelon, were hit by the rockets. More than 30 Israelis have been treated for injuries in relation to the attacks. Additional video footage shows several Palestinian missiles misfiring and killing Palestinians in Gaza, including a 10-year-old girl.

Over 30 Palestinians have died in the fighting, most of them PIJ terrorists.

Some have accused Israel of "indiscriminately" targeting civilians, but a video showing the IDF abandoning an airstrike after children were identified nearby is working to disprove those accusations.

"We're not looking for war. We are focused on our targets, and we'll do everything we need to protect our civilians," Israeli military spokesman Lt. Col. Richard Hecht said.

Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that the campaign is far from over.

"My instruction is that we are ready for the possibility of an expanded campaign and harsh strikes, taking place now and in the future. Overall, I think we have the upper hand, but it's clear you are at the line (border), and I appreciate your support and resilience," Netanyahu said.

In a tweet on Thursday, U.S. Ambassador to Israel Thomas Nides said that the U.S. "is concerned about the continuing rocket launches today. We stand by Israel's right to defend itself, working towards a quick de-escalation."

Photo courtesy: ©Getty Images/John Theodor


Milton QuintanillaMilton Quintanilla is a freelance writer and content creator. He is a contributing writer for CrosswalkHeadlines and the host of the For Your Soul Podcast, a podcast devoted to sound doctrine and biblical truth. He holds a Masters of Divinity from Alliance Theological Seminary.