Support Foster Kids with a Suitcase

60 Percent of Americans Believe Using 'Preferred Pronouns' Confuses Kids about Their Biological Sex: Poll

60 Percent of Americans Believe Using 'Preferred Pronouns' Confuses Kids about Their Biological Sex: Poll

According to a new poll by Harvard's Center for American Political Studies and Harris Poll, over half of Americans believe that allowing children to use their "preferred pronouns" over their biologically assigned pronouns would cause more confusion about their biological sex.

The survey, which was conducted online from May 18 to May 19, 2022, with over 1,900 registered voters, found that 60 percent of Americans believe that the use of preferred pronouns such as "he," "she" and "they" are an "excessive measure that does more to confuse kids about their sex." The other 40 percent, however, say that allowing kids to use their preferred pronouns "prevents discrimination," The Christian Post reports.

Close to six in 10 respondents who are parents (59 percent) say that children should be "called by their sex." About 41 percent, however, asserted that "kids should be able to pick their pronouns." When broken down by political parties, 61 percent of Democrats said kids should be allowed to use their preferred pronouns. About 77 percent of Republicans and 64 percent of Independents, however, believe children should be addressed by their biological sex. Others who largely agreed children should be able to "pick their pronouns" included respondents in the age group of 18 and 34 years old (56 percent) and those living in urban areas (53 percent).

When broken down by gender, more than half of male (60 percent) and female (59 percent) respondents said children should use their biologically assigned pronouns.

The poll also found that most Americans (63 percent) believe teachers "should have discretion" when it comes to using pronouns in the classroom, while 37 percent say teachers "should be "required to use kids' preferred pronouns" under penalty of losing their job. About 62 percent of parents agreed that teachers should maintain discretion, while 38 percent said that they must be required lest they be fired from their job.

When asked whether the failure to use preferred pronouns should be classified as "illegal discrimination," 73 percent of respondents said it should not be considered "illegal," while 27 percent said it should.

The issue of preferred pronoun usage in classrooms has become a hot-button topic, resulting in multiple legal battles with teachers, including Christians, in recent years.


Court Sides with Parents Who Say School Assisted Gender Transition over Their Objections

Parents Sue School after It Assists Child's Gender Transition over Their Objections

Rapid Rise in LGBT Identification Is Due to it Being Trendy, Report Suggests

Photo courtesy: Sharon McCutcheon/Unsplash

Milton Quintanilla is a freelance writer and content creator. He is a contributing writer for Christian Headlines and the host of the For Your Soul Podcast, a podcast devoted to sound doctrine and biblical truth. He holds a Masters of Divinity from Alliance Theological Seminary.