A Living Hope in a Dying World
True salvation implants an inextinguishable hope within us. Prophecy is probably the most encouraging and affirming study we can do in God's Word. Prophecy has inspired believers since the very first recorded teaching on prophecy in the earliest days of Christ's church; and it is the hope we have of Christ's return that has inspired believers to face troubles, afflictions, and wearying persecutions. Today, as we read the darkest hours of mankind’s earthly journey, note how Jesus weaves into this dark fabric, the rays of HOPE.
As we open to Matthew 24:29 we find Jesus describing one of the more fascinating events during earth’s final days. These words mark the crescendo, the finale, and the very last act of the dramatic entrance of Jesus Christ back onto the stage. Please notice the 6 words captured in v. 29 and ponder what Jesus described in Matthew 24. “…the stars will fall from heaven…"
Matthew 24:13 “But he who endures to the end shall be saved.”
That word “endure” is the Greek word hupomeno, which is a very interesting word. Each of the times we find it in the New Testament, it describes the response from the heart of a genuine believer. This hope that works at the very worst of times, works at any time we seek the Lord’s help in our lives. Because whether at the end of the world, or just trying to make it through another day:
Hope is what Jesus Offers
Taking God at His Word, by studying and believing His promises in the Bible, unleashes hope in our lives. The hope God plants in the hearts of His children, true believers, can endure anything. Why not follow this trail through the New Testament and see what I mean.
· Romans 12:12 “ rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;”
· 1 Corinthians 13:7 “bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”
· 2 Timothy 2:10, 12 “Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 12 If we endure, We shall also reign with Him. If we deny Him, He also will deny us.”
· Hebrews 12:2-3, 6-7 “looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. 6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives.” 7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?”
· James 1:12 “Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.”
The lesson is that the hope Jesus gives us can endure anything!
To continue reading this message please click here.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.