The Only Protection from Satan - God's Signature
When you call upon Christ in repentant faith, God saves you. Salvation is the greatest work of God in the universe. Some years ago a man in a penitentiary studied a Moody correspondence course. He found Christ. In answer to one of the questions, which gave him an opportunity to express where he stood in relation to his newfound faith, he wrote down: "I am a new man in an old body." It was a most perceptive remark. For that is what salvation is. But salvation will go even further than that prisoner realized. One day he will be a new man in a new body. I like to call the work of salvation the signature of God-when God writes himself across our lives. Listen to this summary of what happens to each of us who come by faith to God through Christ: (Emphasis added to the verses below.)
- Regeneration-when God changes my heart: "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; ... and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them" (Ezekiel 36:26-27).
- Conversion-when God changes my life: "Unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:3).
- Repentance-when God changes my mind: "Bear fruits worthy of repentance" (Matthew 3:8). When God transforms our minds we change. When we believe right, we begin to behave correctly.
- Adoption-when God changes my family:You received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father." The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God (Romans 8:15-16).
- Sanctification-when God changes my behavior: or by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified. But the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us...: "I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them" (Hebrews 10:14-16).
- Justification-when God changes my state: Having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 5:1). What does it mean to be "justified"? In popular, everyday language, the word can be paraphrased: "just as if I'd never sinned." It means that God has no record of anything ever having gone wrong in our lives.
- Glorification-when God changes my place: "Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world" (John 17:24). I encourage you to write these in your Bible, then believe them, live them, and share them as you act on the reality of God's signature across your life!
Make a choice to live in hope: When God writes himself across your life through faith in Jesus Christ, you have the enduring hope that one day you will behold the brightness of Christ's face for all eternity! No matter how dark it gets in the meantime, Jesus will whisper to your soul: "Fear not, I am with you-peace, be still!" For He has promised to never leave or forsake you; nor will He ever test you beyond what you can bear (1 Corinthians 10:13). And every time you recall that greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world (1 John 4:4 KJV), it gives you cause to keep singing His praises!
To find this message online, please click here.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.