I Kings: Living in the Sight of God
The book of First Kings records the lives of the people of Israel as they lived "In the Eyes of the Lord" This expression is repeated 14 times in this book. We all need to ponder the theme of this book: to live IN THE SIGHT OF GOD!
The Book in Outline Form
FOUR GREAT TRUTHS
GLEANED FROM THIS BOOK
I. God Keeps His Word so we should SEARCH IT DAILY.
God will judge the Apostasy [I Kings 8:46; 12:25-33] of:
1. The Worship that is only of Convenience v. 28
2. The Worship that materializes the Spiritual v. 29 [remember Exodus 32:8]!
3. The Worship that lowers God's Standards v. 31 [also 13:33]
4. The Worship that disregards God's Commands v. 33
II. God Rewards Obedience so we should OBEY HIM ALWAYS!
A. Remember Solomon
1. His personal income God sent him in I Kings 10:14 was 666 talents of gold or 400 Million $ annually.
2. His wisdom from God was known around the world. [4:29-34]
1. In I Kings 17:7 Elijah finds the place of Faith: Faith emerges from Real Need
2. In I Kings 17:10-12 Elijah finds the Test of Faith: Faith challenges our deepest Fears
3. In I Kings 17:15-16 Elijah finds the Product of Faith: Faith enables us to experience Real Blessings.
III. God Seeks Devotion so we should WORSHIP HIM WHOLEHEARTEDLY!
A. He wants our Hearts [9:4].
B. He wants our Trust [18:21]
IV. God Expects Priority so we should SEEK HIM FIRST!
A. David wanted a house for God [5:3] more than his own wealth. He became a man after God's own heart.
B. Solomon wanted a house for both God and himself. He built God's first. His house was five times larger than the Temple, and took twice as long to build! [6:38-7:1] Solomon defected from God in the end.
As God looks around the earth, does He find you looking at Him with all your heart? Deuteronomy 4:29 "But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul."
To continue reading this message please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/i-kings-living-in-the-sight-of-god/