Powerful Prayers from Men and Women
Powerful Parental Prayers
A church that doesn’t pray is on a spiritual treadmill, lots of action and no progress. Prayer catapults us to the frontiers of what ever God is doing around the earth. The keys to prayer: express deepest thoughts to God, trust no matter what, and influence others for God.
What kind of father prepared John G. Paton for the kind of perseverance that brought him through fifty years of rugged, faithful missionary labor? Paton's father, James, was converted at seventeen and immediately convinced his mother and father that the family should have morning and evening prayer together. Paton writes about his father:
"And so began in his seventeenth year that blessed custom of Family Prayer, morning and evening which my father practiced probably without one single avoidable omission till he lay on his deathbed at seventy-seven years of age. None of us can remember that any day ever passed unhallowed thus; no hurry for market, no rush to business, no arrival of friends or guests, no trouble or sorrow, no joy or excitement, ever prevented at least our kneeling around the family altar, while the High Priest led our prayers to God, and offered himself and his children there."
When Jesus left Earth and went back to heaven, what did those who were closest to Him remember about Him? Remember, imitation is the highest form of compliment.
· What did they imitate from His life? Check Acts 6:4!
· What as it about Him they couldn’t get along without? Prayer, of course.
· What do we need to do the most for our family? Pray, of course.
· 1 Samuel 12:23 "Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you the good and the right way. (NKJV)
· Galatians 4:19 My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you,
· Ephesians 6:18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints -- (NKJV) And what are we watching for? God answering those prayers!
· Colossians 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of you, a bondservant of Christ, greets you, always laboring fervently for you in prayers, that you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.
We Must Pray for Their Spiritual Life:
1. TO SEE THEM GENUINELY SAVED.
· 1 Timothy 2:4 who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. (NIV)
2. TO SEE THEM LOVING GOD'S WORD.
· Job 23:12 I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary [food.] (NKJV)
· Psalm 119:97, 165 Oh, how I love Your law! It [is] my meditation all the day. 165 Great peace have those who love Your law, And nothing causes them to stumble. (NKJV)
· Jeremiah 15:16 Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts. (NKJV)
3. TO SEE THEM LIVING IN VICTORY.
· John 8:36 "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. (NKJV)
· John 17:15 "I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. (NKJV)
· 1 John 4:4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. (NKJV)
4. TO SEE THEM THINKING OF HEAVEN.
· 2 Corinthians 4:16-17 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, (NKJV)
· Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
· 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 For what [is] our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? [Is it] not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? 20 For you are our glory and joy. (NKJV)
· 1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (NKJV)
5. TO SEE THEM FINDING SIN REPULSIVE.
· Proverbs 20:17 Bread gained by deceit is sweet to a man, But afterward his mouth will be filled with gravel.
· Luke 15:17-18 "But when he came to himself, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! 18 'I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, (NKJV)
· Hebrews 11:25 choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, (NKJV)
1. TO SEE THEM STAY TENDER TOWARD GOD.
· Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, A broken and a contrite heart -- These, O God, You will not despise. (NKJV) Invitations, Christian service, others needs...
We Must Pray for Their Personal Life:
1. TO SEE THEM MAINTAINING A CLEAR CONSCIENCE.
· Acts 24:16 "This [being] so, I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men. (NKJV)
· 1 Timothy 1:5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, [from] a good conscience, and [from] sincere faith, (NKJV)
· 1 Timothy 1:19 having faith and a good conscience, which some having rejected, concerning the faith have suffered shipwreck, (NKJV)
2. TO SEE THEM LEARNING TO STAND ALONE (which means a conviction that their character is more important than their popularity).
· Daniel 1:8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. (NKJV)
· Daniel 3:16-18 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego answered and said to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. "If that [is the case,] our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver [us] from your hand, O king. "But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up." (NKJV)
· 2 Peter 1:3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, (NKJV)
To continue this sermon please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.discoverthebook.org/sermons_read.asp?id=1254